UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1933249  
Subject: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 54
"Remember that ACA roll-out, what a mess that was?"
"What?"
"ACA. Don't you remember? It was a total mess."
"Hmmm, kinda. That was months ago. Doesn't matter though, I have a better, cheaper, health plan now. And my kids are still insured."
"Yeah, but it was a travesty. Just proves you can't trust government to do anything."
"Which part?"
"Huh?"
"Which part of government can't you trust to do anything? The part that made ACA more complicated than it needed to be? The part that injected the complex provisions desired by insurance providers? The part that wants to keep health care in the hands of the private make-money-on-other-people's-misery insurance industry?"
"Ummm..."
"You mean the part that got in the way of implementing? Or the part that kept trying to defund it? Or the part that shut the government down just before it went live to try and kill it?"
"Er..."
"Or the part that will have an aneurism at every mention of the term 'single-payer'? Republicans."
"What?"
"I think you mean, you can't trust Republicans. But it doesn't matter. Despite everything you tried, ACA is part of the national fabric, and despite a few hiccups in the beginning, nobody remembers it now except cranky cackling idiots revelling in the troubles of others."
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1907920 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 10:08 AM
Recommendations: 2
My complaints have very little to do with the "rollout". It has everything to do with the word "affordable".

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1907924 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 10:27 AM
Recommendations: 0
In about a minute I just checked on prices for coverage (myself & spouse) and found a basic plan for $265.92/mo -- and that's before any subsidies.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1907927 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 10:39 AM
Recommendations: 1
What's funny is that one of the biggest opponents of Obamacare was the elderly up to their necks in Medicare. They love their Medicare. Eff everyone else.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1907928 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 10:40 AM
In about a minute I just checked on prices for coverage (myself & spouse) and found a basic plan for $265.92/mo -- and that's before any subsidies.

A platinum plan? In Texas? Which county? What network was in that plan?

I spent a half an hour looking at TX this morning and you are quoted by county, first, then single, married etc. In all my scrolling through the counties, I saw nary one platinum plan for anyone even in Harris County (Houston area), nor Brazos (College Station area), Travis County (Austin area). Scrolling and scrolling and scrolling I saw no platinum plans in any county. And it showed nary one description of hospitals or doctors included in gold, silver, or bronze, nor any explanation of the risk codes for those counties.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1907929 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 10:45 AM
Recommendations: 2
So I'll put you down in the half of liberals who are pretending ACA is great, as opposed to the half that say it's terrible but it was a GOP idea so that explains why it's terrible. Good luck with that.

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1907973 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 10/31/2013 12:15 PM
Recommendations: 22
So I'll put you down in the half of liberals who are pretending ACA is great, as opposed to the half that say it's terrible but it was a GOP idea so that explains why it's terrible.

You can put me down for whatever you want, it wouldn't be any more true than anything else you've posted.

I'm in Canada. From a Canadian perspective, ACA is an obscene piece of legislation that has no place in a nation that wants to be called "civilized". And yet, it's still an improvement over what was, which is an indication of how completely f***** and inhumane the American health care system was. Too bad so much of it remains.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1908202 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 11/1/2013 9:49 AM
When did America want to be known as civilized? We live in a perpetual wild west. Ride 'em cowboy.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1908246 of 1933249
Subject: Re: Remember when...? Date: 11/1/2013 11:34 AM
The ACA is an obscene piece of legislation. The system it replaces is either good or bad depending on your own situation. It quite obviously impacts people in a good way if their premiums are lower to free. Pre-existing condition clause was a no-brainer, to have that, you have to have mandates. But here in small companies, it's like a bureaucratic health care terrorist went door to door to screw their lives up.

The fact is this, you will always have obscene legislation when two sides are so apart. I laughed myself silly over the Republican voucher and block grant approach, just as I laugh even harder when people tell me Obamacare is affordable with great plans. Both sides are extreme and radical, just not in the right ways. Assuming the government is still deep in the red, ACA is not affordable. No, I don't believe the estimates.

You need radical change for this system to get fixed. I've always liked the French system, and it could have been phased into the USA better than most since they also have non-profit funds paying the bills. But we'd still end up higher costs since we don't rigidly control costs, especially doctor's salaries. But free medical school is far, far cheaper than our higher salaries.

I think we're as stuck with a crappy ACA just as we were stuck with what we had before. Our system sucked before, and it will still suck. As health care starts its ascent past 20% of GDP, we'll have a laughing stock that's still by far the most expensive in the world.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement