Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2450  
Subject: Re: Psychotic Break Date: 8/14/2009 11:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Remember, you're a small cog in the big machine that *can* help her. My track record with Soldiers who use is pretty bad, despite all the effort I put into it. Most end up using again and had to be separated. One I put in 28 day in-patient promptly got drunk again, broke his restraining order, and fought with the cops when they responded. I sent him to the pen for seven months. Don't know what happened after that.

Some get it. Some perservere. I saw one of that select group last month when I went back to see a change of command for my successor's successor taking over at Combat Camera, and it was good to see him upright, lucid, and looking like he had it together. Probably two that can't recover and spiral into the gutter for every one that makes it. And I could command refer them to treatment, as in if you don't go, I call the MPs. And as their commander, I was probably the largest authority figure they faced. And they all went through basic training and such so had at least a baseline of discipline and professionalism.

It's hard, hard work, and requires a huge team - both physical and mental health docs, lawyers, counselors, friends, bad cop friends, etc - and in that team the most important member is the individual. They have to have at least a kernel of motivation to change. Then they have to have the fortune/serendipity to be out of the bad situations and avoid temptation of relapse.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement