Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81878  
Subject: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 2:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 54
Dear Friends,

It's with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that the Colonel died Sept. 10, 2005.

I found this obituary after looking back through the memorial site for MawMaw looking for more family contact info.

http://www.mem.com/display/biography.asp?ID=991601

I'm sorry, I don't know what else to sy right now.

ßillƒ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24995 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 2:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Wow. My day just took a major downgrade.

Man, will I miss that guy.

Are we absolutely sure this is he?

Wow. :(

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24996 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 2:57 PM
Bummer. Damn. Not what I wanted to hear.

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24997 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
Are we absolutely sure this is he?

This is one time I'd love to be wrong, but I'm sorry to have to say I'm sure it's the Colonel. Adress and everything in the obit confirms it's the Colonel we know.

ßillƒ

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24998 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 3:23 PM
I'm so sorry to learn of this. I'll pass the word to the HURL board.

Charles

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24999 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 3:28 PM
Recommendations: 3
Should we gather in his honor, next year, perhaps?

Charles

Author: chezjohn Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25000 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 3:29 PM
Recommendations: 6
ColonelCAF ~ Rest In Peace

http://members.cox.net/chezjohn/Forester%20Sisters%20-%20Old%20Rugged%20Cross.mp3

Author: BattleAxes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25001 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 4:06 PM
"It is a far, far better place I go than I have ever gone."

I hope one day I'll get to sample his BBQ-ing and stories in person.

Congratulations Colonel. Rest in Peace.

Author: bundoriyagyu Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25002 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 5:10 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know what else to sy right now.
ßillƒ

Bill, thanks for all the legwork. Oh man, that really reeks! I can't believe it. Sort of like when my dad passed on, I really just can't believe it. He was one of those sorts of folks that you just thought would live forever. Awright! thats it!!! NO ONE ELSE is allowed to do this! Ya'll hear?!

Bundori *sore loser* yagyu

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25003 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 6:25 PM
Recommendations: 37
I'm speechless. I sat here just rereading Bill's post, and having difficulty accepting it.

This is the one problem with a community such as this. Relationships are formed, friendships are bonded. We forget that we often sit at our keyboards typing with a semblance of anonymity, and through words, we create memories and add to our store of new people we come to care about. But as with any community where people build friendships, it's inevitable that there will come those painful times when we lose one of our own.

I've unfortunately experienced this too many times now in the 10 years of posting here at the Fool. The friendships I've formed are too numerous to count, and each is one has become something so valuable. The Colonel is certainly among this group.

The Colonel's personality, good nature, and incomparable style set him apart from the crowd. He was so quick to welcome any newcomer, so ready to offer his thoughts in his helpful and oft times downright hysterical voice. While his writing could take extra effort to decipher (especially for us Northerners!), that was part of his charm. His individuality. His presence.

It saddens me terribly that we've lost a dear friend here today. But it gives me joy to think of the lives he's touched and how his memory will live on because of it. I'm proud that he chose this particular venue to leave his mark, as the motto of The Motley Fool is to Amuse, Educate and Enrich. The Colonel did all of this.

I will miss this Fool.

Colonel, I salute you, Sir.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25004 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 6:27 PM
Can someone pull together some of his posts as a memorial?

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25005 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 6:33 PM
Recommendations: 4
I was going to add this to my last post.

Here's a link to the Colonel's profile, where you may enjoy just going through some of his old posts.

http://boards.fool.com/Profile.asp?uid=8801270

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25006 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 7:03 PM
Here's a link to da Kunnel's lyrics & funnies:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=112913&mid=11776157&sort=username

and his posts on Recipes/Cooking:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=112912&mid=18597593&sort=username

and this board, of course, hundreds of posts:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=115012&mid=16737089&sort=username

Sure am gonna miss that ol' cuss! I reckon he's gonna have lotsa blue sky for cruisin' in his Confederate Air Force bomber...

OleDoc

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25007 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 8:22 PM
Can someone pull together some of his posts as a memorial?

Thanks for those links OleDoc!

I'd be happy to include personal words about the Colonel, should anyone here want to have theirs included;

http://www.bbqfools.com/ColonelCAF.php#PersonalWords

If there are other posts around the Fool about the Colonel, where I don't normally post, I won't see those. Should anyone want to e-mail the links to me, I'd appreciate it. I'll contact the OP and ask if they want their words included or not or if they wish to write something else for inclusion.

Or, point them here to this message and they can follow through on their own should they so desire.

ßillƒ

Author: WileyWildcat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25008 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 8:30 PM
Recommendations: 24
Dear Friends,

This is my fourth attempt to post something, I keep typing but erasing , our friend the Colonel has joined MawMaw for eternity.

Friends some of us joined together in Pigeon Forge Tn. for a 4 day party and PARTY it was! Our friend the Colonel and his lovely wife MawMaw were the first ones to arrive and the last to leave - they were radiant.

If I can say one thing about Colonel & MawMaw it would be they lived life to the fullest! MawMaw was extremely gracious. Colonel was extremely intelligent. They were a pair,,,

They are together again ,

As I end this let us remember the 2 of them with
Grace and Peace,
Mr. & Miz Wiley

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25009 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 8:32 PM
I met the Col. on the internet, never in person. We e-mailed one another and shared some recipes. He sent me his cookbook, which I will cherish.

I have worried about the Col. since Sept. 6. I ask Billf about him since I hadn't seen him on the board. In my heart I knew he had gone on home. I am very sad tonight but happy for him because I know he is again a very happy man with his lovely lady.

Thanks Col. for sharing some fun with me.

Blue

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25011 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 10:25 PM
Words fail me ........

Tears fall .......

Not for the Colonel, for he is home with his lovely bride ..

But for our loss of the companionship of a dear friend.

Adieu, dear Colonel, Adieu .... until we meet again!

DP

Author: jmagyer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25012 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/29/2005 11:12 PM
Wow, I feel awful. Here I am asking for a rib recipe and then I look and see what happened. I hardly knew the Colonel, but I'm certainly sad to hear that he is gone and I am very sorry for your loss.

Joe

Author: blungold Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25014 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 1:18 AM
Wow. Just... wow...

I remember when I first posted to this board, the Colonel was one of the first to welcome me - and was kind enough to point out that we shared a common connection: UCLA. Well, it's a sad say for this Bruin.

At first I found having to translate his "cajun"-speak posts annoying, but I learned to accept, then enjoy, them. I enjoyed many a laugh and some helpful advice reading his posts - and learned quite a bit about Louisiana / cajun culture in the process! It's sad, though, that in his final days, his beloved Louisiana was so devastated by Katrina. It was obvious that he really did love living there despite being born elsewhere.

His style and character will surely be missed on this board and the fact that so many have posted in response to his passing is a fitting tribute to a life well-lived on this board.

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25016 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 5:46 AM
Recommendations: 6
Hey Joe,

Wow, I feel awful. Here I am asking for a rib recipe and then I look and see what happened. I hardly knew the Colonel, but I'm certainly sad to hear that he is gone and I am very sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the kind words. The Colonel was a special part of our Family.

Now, don't y'all go and feel bad about askin' fer help with BBQ stuff as that's one of the reasons we're all here; To share recipes and spread the word about real BBQ. The Family & Friends part is an added benefit fer ALL of us.

Besides, the Colonel'd come back to kick our @ss if'n we didn't help just because he left to go be with MawMaw again. :-)

ßillƒ

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25018 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 6:22 AM
Recommendations: 5
Oh, yes! I forgot this one! The board Da Kunnel started way back about 5-6 years ago! The Bawdy Poet:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12278981

OleDoc

Author: Bkeepr100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25020 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 8:00 AM
Recommendations: 10

Aa-ten-Hut! Present arms....(Bang) (21 gun salute)

At ease...

We are here to mourn the passin' of a GOOD ol' boy. I never got to meet the Kernul in person, but he inspired me to do the best possible in everything i do.

His posts were about as hard to read as a science report, but were humorous and fun to decipher. He never had a harsh word for anyone but the G@ssgr!!! users.(and was only funning then)

So I hearby offer a Toast to the old coot....(ahem).soldier. Lift your glasses high(whatever beverage they have in them...)

Here's to one of the best of our BBQ board,
He will bee sorely missed.

Cheers!

Missingtheoldcootalready!

B-man Rick

Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25021 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 8:39 AM
I just made the Colonel a luvvie. (crying) It's too bad I waited so long to do so.

Charles

Author: bundoriyagyu Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25022 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 7
I will miss this Fool.
Colonel, I salute you, Sir.
Tony
...but I still am...
Off2Aruba

When I think of all that I have gotten here at the Fool I suppose that I am being selfish in not wanting to turn loose of any of it. Having met some very dear online friends here and on some of the other boards and in fact having met my beloved through a fellow member of the Fool(she too is an active Fool) I suppose I am a great believer.

Da Colonel was a great friend and long time email personal advisor(grin). He advised me to follow my heart and not listen to my fears in making a long distance move to be with my lady. So far things have worked out just the way he predicted. Good call, Colonel sir! And he was sort of a surrogate father figure to me. Never having been that close to my own father(oddly a Marine corps colonel, retired) until his dying day, OUR Colonel often provided the wise and sympathetic ear that my own father never did.

I have spent the last few days trying very hard to put things in perspective. In his honor, I invited a few friends over, Q'ed some venison steaks over my grill and quaffed a few cold ones. It was as good a wake as I could think of.

bundori *warming venison and memories* yagyu

Author: bundoriyagyu Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25023 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 11:41 AM
Joe

No problem Joe, you did exactly what the Colonel would have wanted you to do. It is rather like family on this board. The good people here (both those present and those gone home) have been there for each other for quite some time. You will have to excuse us, you are not catching us at our best.

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25024 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 12:10 PM
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=12278981

Oh that is hysterical!!!!!

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25025 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 3:22 PM
What a way to ruin a perfectly good day!!! :-(

C.J.V. – in exile in New Jersey

Author: Great2BGold Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25027 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 9/30/2005 4:01 PM
Goodness, I am so sorry to hear that. I havent been posting a whole lot lately and it is sad to read such sad news. My prayers will be sent to his family

GTBG

Author: blackmare Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25040 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 10/1/2005 9:42 AM
Recommendations: 7
I really need to be getting ready for an appointment this morning, not sitting here at my computer, crying. Oh well.

My favorite Kunnel memory is when we were at that Smoky Mountain music show in Tennessee. The emcee asked whether we had anyone in from Louisiana and the Kunnel stood up and hollered, "No, but you got someone from LOO-ZIANA!"

I'm so sad that he's gone; he was such an original; but I'm honored to have gotten to spend a little time with him.

Mare

Author: WileyWildcat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25046 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 10/2/2005 12:35 PM
Bill,
Has anyone talked with a resource person? His son or a neighbor ? Does anyone know what happened?

Grace and Peace,
Miz Wiley

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25049 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 10/3/2005 2:23 PM
Hey Mrs. Wiley,

Has anyone talked with a resource person?

I called the Hixson-Sulphur Memorial Funeral Home, (337) 625-9171, this morning and asked if they'd be willing to pass along my contact info to Stephen and they said they might, citing privacy reasons and such. Also, they're so busy right now they don't know when this may happen.

Does anyone know what happened?

They didn't have an answer.

ßillƒ

Author: 3blackdogs Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25191 of 81878
Subject: Re: Remembering the Colonel Date: 10/15/2005 1:46 AM
Recommendations: 8
Oh my, I have obviously not been on the boards at all the last month...and I come back to this....

First BikerMike...
then MizL....

and now, DaKuhnel....

We have lost some good and gentle souls on this board. It's a strange feeling to sit here and mourn someone I never met.

God rest his good soul and rejoice that he is at peace and with his beloved Valerie.

Say hi to BikerMike and MizL, dear Colonel, sir.

God speed and rest gently in God's hand.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement