UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37112  
Subject: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/9/2012 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Nothing like buying furniture to replace broken furniture to find out just how much clutter there is!

I had to empty the old stuff and find a place for it that was out of the way for the delivery guys to get the new stuff in and in place.

Hoooo boy!

Mostly I'm nearly overwhelmed by what's ahead because now it's time to put things in new spaces and find new spaces for old clutter AND clean. We had so much dust hidden under and behind the furniture that left, our cats are walking around sneezing every couple of seconds.

So far, the good that's come out of this:

1. I went to the two storage units and took stock of what needed to be done there, and it's not that bad! I mean, there's a lot to do, but it can be done by doing one task a weekend. There are several boxes of old books that need to be taken to the pulping place, a few boxes of stuff DD left that she wanted me to give to Goodwill, and then there are odds and ends that I'll have to make decisions about. I put one of the chests that came out of the apartment in the unit so that we can use it for organizing. (Eventually, I'm going to get it repaired, but the person who WAS going to do it reneged; thus Plan B.)

2. When I'm finished with the reorganization in No. 1, our storage unit rental will be cut in half, freeing up some cash. That's a very good thing.

3. It won't be long before I'll be able to play my piano again, now that all the mail packaging material has a home in the new chest.

4. I can put away the TV trays I was using for my laptop and my photographic light box because I have permanent place for them.

5. Already there is more room in the bedroom because the huge chest with broken drawers isn't sticking out into the walk space, and it will be very easy to refill the new dresser with the clothes and linens and make even more space, once I've gotten the drawers papered.

It'll be good. It will. I just have to keep up my morale to continue. It's going to take longer than today, which means we still have to tolerate a confused living space, but it won't be much longer before it's better.

MOI
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36007 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/9/2012 11:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
and

6. Guess what!? BOTH DH and I are breathing and feeling better since we got that furniture out of here. One of them was an old chest made of particle board. It was probably releasing formaldehyde into our air.

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formaldehyde.html#Health_Effects

MOI

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36008 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/10/2012 1:01 AM
Recommendations: 1
It sounds like you've made great progress!

And your breaking down the storage unit tasks into manageable chunks, which is smart. Keep up the great work!

Cassandra

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36014 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/17/2012 1:07 PM
Recommendations: 5
Over the weekend, I visited the storage bins, counted the shoes that DD left and made sure they were all paired, reserving four pairs for myself, and taped up the box in advance of sending to curbside charity on Friday. I also found a few odds and ends in the other storage room and started a charity box with them.

Then I went inside and emptied all my own shoes that I can't wear since my hip replacement, which left plenty of slots for the four pairs I gained from DD, and boxed them up for Friday.

I went through the cassette tapes from one drawer of the formaldehyde chest and divided them into give-away, throw-away and keep for converting to digital.

I went to Radio Shack with my converting-to-digital kit what I bought on eBay and they took the little disk of software that came with it and transferred it onto a thumb drive for me (because I don't have a disk drive on my notebook computer).

Progress, progress, all is progress.

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36016 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/23/2012 7:21 PM
Recommendations: 3
And today I hauled all the shoes out of storage and all the shoes from my closet PLUS two boxes of clothing I took out of my closets, a bag of newly purchased socks and two turkeys down to St. Anthony's for their curbside drive, which one of my boss's works at every year. Decluttered AND got work kudos to boot!

There's a big patch of floor space in the storage unit that wasn't there before, and although it's cluttered with music on the floor, I can actually reach the piano and pull out the piano bench.

I'm aiming to declutter that area by tomorrow afternoon so I can actually play Christmas songs on Christmas Eve.

MOI

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36017 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/24/2012 2:42 AM
Recommendations: 0
great plan MOI
Do we get to hear O Tannenbaum?
that's one of my favorites

YeilB

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36018 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/24/2012 8:13 PM
Do we get to hear O Tannenbaum?

I have plenty of holiday music for may holidays, and I'm sure my collection would include that one.

Your getting to hear it, that's another matter. Skype?

I'm not quite there yet. Still a bit of clutter to get rid of by the piano, but it's mostly gone.

MOI

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36019 of 37112
Subject: Re: Remind Me I'm Getting There, Right? Date: 12/24/2012 9:14 PM
I was thinking of telepathy...glad the clutter is mostly gone and hope the piano playing goes well.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement