UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Reminder: 0% long term rate is ending for 15% or Date: 12/5/2010 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
2010 is last year of the 0% long term capital gains tax rate for people in the 15% or less federal tax bracket. If you qualify you might want to sell and repurchase stocks with long term gains to establish a higher cost basis.

Note;

Wash sale rules do not apply for gains.

You may still have to pay state taxes.

You can only do for a limited amount of capital gains, just enough to get you up to the top of the 15% tax bracket.

If you have any capital losses carried forward from prior years, you have to use these first to offset the gains.

Greg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67784 of 76418
Subject: Re: Reminder: 0% long term rate is ending for 15 Date: 12/5/2010 7:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
2010 is last year of the 0% long term capital gains tax rate for people in the 15% or less federal tax bracket. If you qualify you might want to sell and repurchase stocks with long term gains to establish a higher cost basis.

i just discovered this ... starting to play with TurboTax last week..

is it Certain that it will remain for 2010?

not part of "Bush" expiring tax cuts??

=
.... accidentally had a lot of Gain .. using the low tax to convert some IRA to Roth

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67785 of 76418
Subject: Re: Reminder: 0% long term rate is ending for 15 Date: 12/5/2010 9:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
My understanding is that it will end at the end of 2010 which is just a few weeks away. It would be good to research this but I have not heard any talk of extending it.

Greg

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67786 of 76418
Subject: Re: Reminder: 0% long term rate is ending for 15 Date: 12/5/2010 9:35 PM
Recommendations: 1
is it Certain that it will remain for 2010?

Reasonably certain at this point. Congress generally doesn't like to make their tax increased too retroactive.

It most definitely IS part of the expiring tax cuts. Those tax cuts expire at the end of this year.

--Peter

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67787 of 76418
Subject: Re: Reminder: 0% long term rate is ending for 15 Date: 12/5/2010 10:46 PM

It most definitely IS part of the expiring tax cuts. Those tax cuts expire at the end of this year.

thanks ..Peter and Greg

i was up late last night trying to figure this out , so my brain a bit muddled..

part of the expiring 'tax cuts' ,But the hoo-hah in Congress is about what happens in 2011 et seq

SOMEhow i was thinking they were talking about 2010 --which would be too much nightmare even for our Congress .. not knowing 2010 rules until early 2011

(>:

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67808 of 76418
Subject: Re: Reminder: 0% long term rate is ending for 15 Date: 12/7/2010 10:35 AM
Looks like the current rates will continue. Not certain yet whether the 0% for those in the 15% tax bracket will continue. However, even if it does not, the previous rate under Bush was only 5% for those in the 15% bracket.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement