UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Remodeling my retirement abode Date: 3/27/2006 8:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Prior to retiring I used to spend very little time at home. After my first attempt at retiring I spent enough time at home to realize that my decor was really boring and not optimized functionally for post-retirement life. So I decided to remodel.

Here's some tips I've discovered a long the way.

Setting a realistic budget
I want to transform my place into somewhere that I would want to hang out all day. OTOH I will eventually sell a few years down the room so I don't want to overimprove. I have found the best way to strike a balance is to figure out how much one can realistically expect to recover for the type of project you are doing--and then I don't go above that figure. I found a website to help me calculate the figure http://www.remodeling.hw.net/ and also have consulted with friends in the real estate business.

Needless to say, you should set your budget before you start purchasing materials. My next project is remodeling my master bathroom and I almost broke that rule today--I spotted a cool, but expensive bathroom vanity that I lusted after.

DIY general contracting
I really don't have the desire nor ability to do most of the remodeling tasks myself. However I have learned that it is best for me to act as the general contractor. My remodeling projects have been small in scope-so small that I haven't needed to file for permits. I found out that remodeling firms have a certain minimum to make jobs profitable so all estimates I received all contained a lot of pad. It really hasn't been hard to be the general contractor. Having project management experienced helped but really anyone can do it--it's just a matter of figuring out what are the right resources, tasks and then scheduling them to happen in the proper sequence. I have found skilled workers through word of mouth. And I've consulted with home improvement stores on the rest.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement