UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885518  
Subject: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyeglasses Date: 1/22/2009 2:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My 3 year old titanium glasses are in very good condition. The frames are very sturdy and my prescription has not changed.

These are polycarbonate lenses.

The only thing wrong is the anti-reflective (AR) coating...it is flaking off and impairing the quality of vision.

I am eligible to get a new pair of glasses with only a $20 copay. I can get a new pair, and make my old ones a spare. Or I can get prescription sunglasses. I also wear contacts a few days a week, so I do not wear glasses every day.

I would like to save these glasses. The optometrist's office said the AR coating can not be removed, that the lenses have to be replaced. (Also newer lenses now have AR embedded in them, eliminating the annoying flaking off problem.)

I searched the web for homegrown ideas for dealing with this problem (hey, I have nothing to lose), and found someone had success polishing their lenses with sunscreen.

Does anyone know of a way to rid my lenses of deteriorating AR coating?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817073 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 8:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
are they plastic lenses or glass?

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817075 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 8:38 AM
Recommendations: 2
polycarbonate = plastic.

You could try a plastic cleaning/polishing product made for automtive/marine use - like Novus or Plastix. They're really for removing haze and scratches from headlight lenses, plastic windows in convertibles, etc. But they might also remove the coating that you're dealing with. I'd probably try novus 2 if anything, here's their website: www.novuspolish.com

Author: epc53 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817086 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 11:41 AM
But they might also remove the coating that you're dealing with. I'd probably try novus 2 if anything

I have no idea how it compares to novus 2, but toothpaste is a fairly fine and mild abrasive that you can try for free. I have successfully used it around the house for various small polishing jobs.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817091 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 12:25 PM
If they are three years old, it's possible that you might need to update the prescription anyway. What would it cost to just replace the lenses without any add ons, out of pocket?

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817092 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 1:26 PM
Check you insurance coverage. My coverage is two years for frames, but more frequent for lens only. I would seriously consider getting new frames and keeping these as a spare, but I don't use contacts and although I can legally drive without glasses I don't feel comfortable doing so.

Debra

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817105 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 5:19 PM
I'm going to go back on my own recommendation. I was checking the replies, and clicked on the mfr link I posted earlier. Found this nugget in there:

NOVUS No. 2 and No. 3 Polishes are not recommended for use on coated plastics or eyeglass lenses.

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817115 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 6:32 PM
If they are three years old, it's possible that you might need to update the prescription anyway. What would it cost to just replace the lenses without any add ons, out of pocket?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nope. I just had my eyes examined, and my vision has not changed.

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817116 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 6:35 PM
Check you insurance coverage. My coverage is two years for frames, but more frequent for lens only. I would seriously consider getting new frames and keeping these as a spare, but I don't use contacts and although I can legally drive without glasses I don't feel comfortable doing so.

Debra
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am eligible for new frames and lenses this year, and plan to keep my old ones as a spare. I would just like to get the coating off of them so I can see through them better.

If I could "clean 'em up", I would consider keeping my old pair as primary, and using my insurance benefit to purchase prescription sunglasses.

Any chemists out there who want to take a stab at this?

Author: barsi Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817117 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 9:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
NOVUS No. 2 and No. 3 Polishes are not recommended for use on coated plastics or eyeglass lenses.

Perhaps they say that because it removes the coating.

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817120 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/22/2009 11:58 PM
polycarbonate = plastic.

You could try a plastic cleaning/polishing product made for automtive/marine use - like Novus or Plastix.

There are a lot of different types of plastics out there. What may make a good cleaner for one kind could etch or pit another. Some plastics melt when exposed to acetone and others just get clean. At work one day I melted my cheap digital watch when a spray of acetone got it. :\

Try ask.com for a lot of links to pages with things you may try:
http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=2417&o=0&l=dir&q=rem...

I'd vote for having the lenses replaced at Costco or some other inexpensive optical shop.

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817125 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/23/2009 1:56 AM
I'd vote for having the lenses replaced at Costco or some other inexpensive optical shop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks.

I already checked with Costco and they will only replace lenses in frames they originally sold.

Author: concordiadiscors Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817135 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/23/2009 8:59 AM
I'm in the same boat with the flaking anti-glare coating, and it's driving me nuts. I think I need a new prescription so I'll probably get some new glasses and put new lenses in the current frames, but so help me I'll never get anti-glare coating again. I'll have to ask about the embedded option though.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817157 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/23/2009 12:34 PM
Lucky! I have to get mine changed every 2 to 3 years. My eye doctor says that hopefully this will slow down as I get older. The prescription I have in my current glasses (got them 6 months ago) is so different that if I slip on the other pair with the last scrip (from 4 years ago) I get dizzy.

I got the anti-glare coating on these, and it's very distracting. If there is a light behind me, I see shimmers of purple from the coating in the sides of the lenses. I won't get it again.

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817180 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/23/2009 9:35 PM
I'd probably do the same thing - get a new pair, keep the old ones as a spare - or for any time you're doing stuff like painting a ceiling.

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817203 of 885518
Subject: Re: Removing Anti-Reflective Coating From Eyegla Date: 1/25/2009 10:25 AM
I just came across this article:

http://lifehacker.com/5138438/armor-etch-removes-scratched-c...

- Megan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement