Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

Did a search, couldn't find anything about actually removing ticks, but did find info on that spray Ovitrol Plus by VetKem, which I'm going to pick up tommarow.

Anyway,

I removed a tick from my dogs ear the other day, easy enough, it was still squirming all the way up to flush it. But I removed another tick today from the inside of his hind leg. A little tougher to keep my 80# GS still, but got it, and it wasn't squirming, looked at it and I don't think I got the head. Look again at his leg, don't see anything. Will it become irritating to him in the next couple days if the head is still in? (It doesn't seem to be irritating him now).

And, I just thought of something. He sleeps in my bed, will the ticks jump on me from him, or will they pretty much stay where they are. I will definately getting some tick "stopper" tommarrow.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Sarah
Print the post Back To Top
And, I just thought of something. He sleeps in my bed, will the ticks jump on me from him, or will they pretty much stay where they are. I will definately getting some tick "stopper" tommarrow.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Sarah

Sarah,

I've never had to deal with ticks (knock on wood) but here is a link about ticks and dogs from Cornell University that might be helpful.

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/factsheets/home/pests/old/ms.pst.ticks.html

Good Luck.

Deannda
I don't think ticks will jump like fleas, but I could be wrong.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Sarah

I live in tick country and always keep a Preventic Collar on my dog and Frontline on the cat. Yes the ticks can get on you if the dog sleeps in your bed.
I am not sure how the sprays work as I have never used them. The two methods above keep the ticks off and kill them quickly if they do drop onto the animal. This is nothing to fool around with. You found two ticks but what if you don't find one or two. Your home could become infested.

Speak to your vet ASAP about the best methods of control. Deer ticks are very small and not easy to see like dog ticks. They cause Lyme disease which can be contracted by humans and animals.

I urge you to get the Preventic collar immediately and look into other means while your dog is wearing it. I would keep him out of your bed until you are sure he is free of both ticks and fleas.

Good luck

Jean
I don't think ticks will jump like fleas

No, but they will crawl like spiders, but slower. If you're nearby, ticks can get on you, too. Make sure the dog doesn't have any.

They're not hard to deal with, and you can get 'tick nippers' at livestock supply shops and, sometimes, pet supply shops. These are pretty useful: they are basically tweezers, but as though someone cut the bowl of a spoon in half and set it into blunt scissors. You position them to either side of the tick, bring them together, which captures the tick in the bowl, and give a quick yank. The nippers have a built in magnifying glass so you can see the ticks.

Just be aware that Lyme disease is carried by ticks, and don't - repeat, don't - handle them with your bare hands.

Beej
As I posted earlier I found the 1st tick I've ever seen on my dog last weekend. Fortunately I have a dog first aid booklet in my medicine cabinet & it said to soak the tick with alcohol or tick/flea poison then pull it slowly out with tweezers making sure you get the tweezers as close to the skin as possible. (I also used a magnifying glass. That tick remover gadget sounds great!) Then swab the animals skin with alcohol. My Belgian Malinoux Shepard (mix) was so good, but then she is overall a very well behaved, smart dog. Just a bit too protective.
The first aid booklet also said to drop the tick in a small jar of alcohol & keep it to show your Vet in case your pet gets sick.
I don't live in a rural or woodsy area and can't quite figure out where she picked it up. How long do they stay on a pet? We were visiting a more rural area a week or so earlier. Thanks everyone for sharing all the information that you do....you're a good group.
Lucy
I live only 12 miles from Lyme, CT.....guess why Lyme disease is called that.....first found in Lyme, CT. Around here a dog can't spend more than a few minutes in the woods or tall grass without getting a tick. It's so common that its no big deal. Frontline or Top Spot work great on discouraging the critters. If I find one on the dog after it has burrowed in, I just grasp it firmly between my index finger and thumb as close to the skin as possible, then with a slow pinching action, slowly pull it out (usually with some dog skin attached). It's the little bitsy ones that like to get around the eyelids and lips that are difficult. There is a Lyme vaccinations available at vet (a must for our dogs).

As for as ticks on people, also pretty common here. I'm still scratching 2 places. They like to get under things, like your shirt collar or belt. Take them off the same way. Watch for signs of Lyme disease (rare). A slightly visable ring around the bite, stiff joints, flu-like symptoms.

FYI, ticks don't jump. Instead they climb up things and then fall onto their target when the target walks under or by them.
A slightly visable ring around the bite

unfortunately the ring is generally only visible on a small percentage of people, the flu symptoms are a better indicator.

We now think my brother may have gotten lyme disease about 25 years ago, but no one really knew about it. (He lived in central Massachusetts). He wasn't feeling well and one morning woke up with stiff swollen knees, unable to walk and in pain. They had him on antibiotics and arthritis medicine for about a month in a hospital, simply pumping him full of anything they thought might work. So it's not a thing you want to get. There are vaccines for ppl now too, but unless you live in a high risk area, your insurance may not pay for it. They average $50-80 each for a total of 3 shots over a year, then a booster every year after that.

DLF -- expert at looking for ticks on Rocket, DH, and herself
Advertisement