UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66130  
Subject: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/5/2012 5:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have Mountain Lion and recently ran into some stuff with my AirPort and learned the current AirPort Utility Version (6.x) has been made more User Friendly wight he net result some capabilities have been removed.

This article
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167965/mountain_lion_and_th...
points out there are issues installing version 5.6.x under Mountain Lion, but provides a solution.

Maybe it is just my Windows background, but somehow the idea of having two programs on a computer with the same name just seems like a way to have unintended consequences.

I do want to keep Airport Utility 6.x - so can I rename the main or basic part of an OSX program just like I would a file and have things work normally? If the answer to that is No, how about sticking the 5.6 version in a different location?

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61052 of 66130
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/7/2012 12:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I do want to keep Airport Utility 6.x - so can I rename the main or basic part of an OSX program just like I would a file and have things work normally? If the answer to that is No, how about sticking the 5.6 version in a different location?

On many applications, that's not an issue. I have multiple copies of Office, Turbo Tax, BBEdit, Stuffit Expander, VLC, Mac the Ripper, OmniWeb, and GraphicsConverter. Many are just renamed, though some are in their own folders (folder's renamed, application with it's original name).

For me, it depends on if there are other things in an app folder for it.

But the other problem is if it uses files from other locations, like photoshop using plugins. I could see an Apple app, like the Airport Utility, using some plugin or extension saved somewhere else, that would get updated or replaced when you install the new one.

Most likely it is fine. I suppose the best way to try it out is to make a backup of your whole system, then duplicate the app and rename one of them. Install the new one, which will likely overwrite or delete the one you didn't rename. And then try out the old one.

Aaron

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61055 of 66130
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/7/2012 4:28 PM
Thanks Aaron - So far so good. I have the two applications with different names.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61056 of 66130
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/7/2012 5:21 PM
sorry .... i meant to mention.

i had a similar issue and so have two apps:
"AirPort Utility 5.6.app" & "AirPort Utility.app"

have used them both a number of times, no obvious problems

( seems to me the only possible problem if you have two versions of an app that connects to files. e.g., two Words ... which will open if you open a word doc? )

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61058 of 66130
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/7/2012 7:48 PM
yea that is the name that came out after I stripped the App out of the installer package.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61061 of 66130
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/7/2012 11:22 PM
Recommendations: 1
( seems to me the only possible problem if you have two versions of an app that connects to files. e.g., two Words ... which will open if you open a word doc? )

You can set the default app to open a particular file, or all files like that. One way to do that is to get info on a file, open the "open with" area, then select what you want to use to open it, and if you want use the checkbox to tell it to open all files like that, that way.

(there is also an option to do this via right clicking a file)

So that would be for a .doc file, a .jpg, or anything else.

With multiple versions of an app, it's just the same thing. The OS doesn't care that they are an older and newer version. I think what normally happens is that the installer tells the OS about the newer version of the application, but that could still be a problem for the installs that just have you mount a .dmg and drag the new app to the application folder.

But it doesn't get confused. Once you have it setup to use one by default, it continues to use that one.

Aaron

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61068 of 66130
Subject: Re: Rename Application Files?? Date: 10/8/2012 4:10 PM

-----
You can set the default app to open a particular file, or all files like that. One way to do that is to get info on a file, open the "open with" area, then select what you want to use to open it, and if you want use the checkbox to tell it to open all files like that, that way.

urp. i thought of that but didn't think it through --of course that would attache a file type (extension) to a Particular App, not to an App name

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement