UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63284  
Subject: Re: Houston airport? Date: 12/7/2009 10:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
RENP - Retire Early - No Politics.

I like the idea in principle...but over time I think will discover how fine the line is between investing and politics...economic policies' effects on the markets and many other examples. Then it would get worse: "how come your post yesterday about [something] doesn't count while my post today about [something else] counts as political?" type wars and flames erupting..

Politics per se isn't the problem IMO. There is probably a majority of us who do not get that bothered by a little comment here and there by someone expressing a different view from ours about, say, gay marriage, abortion, the 650 billion or more spent on military every year, or tax breaks for the richest fraction of 1%...a little comment here and there won't rile most of us.

What does get tiresome are the same 'clever' but oh so angry, quips, the same long tirades, the same less than mature 'clever' zingers over, and over again, about

1. "ha! it's cold this winter in [location] so ha, global warming must not be true! liberals! Never mind decades of science data..did I remember to bring up Al Gore? Ha what a fool he is! He also doesn't walk bearfoot to conferneces in Europe, he FLIES there, the hypocrite! It's cold in my state this year, that proves GLOBAL warming is fake! fake I tell you! Libral fools!" and

2."Aren't I so clever for paying less taxes while I still enjoy public services! [versus the next day] Aren't the poor so damn lazy for paying less taxes but expecting public services! The outrage!! Aren't you an inexperienced unclever idiot for paying a lot of this tax! [the next day:] I pay a lot of real estate tax...do YOU? Well, do you, pal? Huh??? Didn't think so, now you're not so tough are ya buddy?? Damn right you're not as tough and smart and as Big a Man as I am! [admires tough self in mirror] Yeah!!"

and 3. "All Black men are..." and similar statements about the behavior, tastes, preferences, likes/dislikes, proclivities, etc of a group consisting of tens of millions of human beings.

and similar claptrap over and over ad nauseum. A few "I love guns!" and "Sorry I'll never vote for gay marriage" and similar comments here and there would really not be a problem...it's the above kind of things that really downgrade this group week after week..

So thanks to those who pointed out the :-\ frown button...which helps..but only partially in these long threads..
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement