Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: brxkic One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121571  
Subject: Rental income losses for a few years, then quit? Date: 3/28/2005 5:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello there:

Just bought my house a few months ago. It turns out to be too much house for one person, so I am thinking of getting a roommate. I have read pub 527 from cover to cover, and searched both the Rental Property board and this Tax board for answers. Haven't found my answers yet, so here is my question.

The house has a lot of stuff that needs fixing (including upgrading electrical, replacing roof, duct work, just to name a few....). I know I would be depreciating these costs when I calculate rental income gain/loss. This would mean I'm more likely to make a loss on the rental income in the next 2 or so years where all these improvements are made. However, I am 30 and probably will be starting a family in the next couple of years (i.e. won't be renting out a room from my house for more than a few years since I (hopefully) will have a family by then).

Now my question, in a hypothetical scenario where there is a rental loss (for let's say for the next 3 years), and then I stop renting out the room because I start having a family.

-Does that mean this is a business that is "not for profit" because it didn't meet the rule about having to make a profit for 3 years out of the last five"?

-Would that mean I would only be able to deduct costs only to the amount of rental income I receive (i.e. not use the $25000 loss limit as "actively partiipating" in a rental real estate acitivity)?

-Since I can't predict how many years I would make a profit from rent, and when I am going to stop renting out (i.e. when exactly I am going to start a family), should I just forget about renting out a room?

Thanks a bunch!
AC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement