Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a condo that I've been renting out to my mother-in-law for a couple of years. She only pays 2/3 of the typical rent in the area. I've been treating this as a rental, but it dawned on me recently that it doesn't really qualify (OK, so I'm slow :-) because it's not "fair rental price". Publication 527, the way I read it, says that I shouldn't include in income the money she pays me. Is this right?

I've been paying taxes on several $K per year and I'm wondering if:
1. I can really just ignore this much "profit"
2. I should file an amended return for previous years
3. I can still deduct property taxes for the property. I'm guessing the answer is NO for mortgage interest, since I also own two other houses. I haven't seen any restrictions on property taxes for a third house.

Any information would be appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.