Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CorkyF16 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Rental Property Refinance Date: 10/29/2003 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello,

I am getting set to refinance the mortage on our former house -- now a Rental property. I have a question for the experts out there. I have searched on this board for the answer, and if I missed it, I apologize.

What items, if any, are deductible in conjunction with the refinance?

- Points?
--- are they subject to the same rules as a primary residence (i.e. must be spread out over the term of the loan)
- Fees?
- etc?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67456 of 121114
Subject: Re: Rental Property Refinance Date: 11/7/2003 6:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What items, if any, are deductible in conjunction with the refinance?

Immediately deductible? Nothing, other than the interest that is prorated on the two loans. OK - any property taxes that might be paid through the closing process would be deductible also.

Pretty much everything else must be amortized over the life of the loan.

And a bonus caveat: If you get cash out of the refinance, all of your interest expense on the loan might not be deductible. It will depend on how the proceeds are used.

--Peter

Author: dharmadollars Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67458 of 121114
Subject: Re: Rental Property Refinance Date: 11/7/2003 10:47 PM
Re: deductible expenses--what about the undeducted portion of pro rata points from previous purchase/refinance?

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67464 of 121114
Subject: Re: Rental Property Refinance Date: 11/9/2003 3:00 AM
Recommendations: 1
what about the undeducted portion of pro rata points from previous purchase/refinance?

Those would also be written off when a loan is refinanced and paid. Good point.

--Peter

Author: catscanner Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67658 of 121114
Subject: Re: Rental Property Refinance Date: 11/19/2003 11:24 PM
Re: deductible expenses--what about the undeducted portion of pro rata points from previous purchase/refinance?
-----------------
Since the old loan is now paid off/refinanced those undeducted points are now deductable.

cat

Author: CorkyF16 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67675 of 121114
Subject: Re: Rental Property Refinance Date: 11/21/2003 3:12 PM
Thank you for your answers. I was hoping that there would be some obscure bits of knowledge that would be beneficial.

Alas, no such luck.

Thanks again,

Joe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement