Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We just sold a rental property (Jan. 2008) that we had for seven years. One of those years we actually lived in it. We realized a gain of 65K. We also sold a home we lived in for 6 years and bought a home in Sept. 2007. We did not realize much of a gain from that sale and rolled it into the new purchase along with additional funds.

What is the best way to avoid capital gains tax on the 65K? The new home we bought and live in needs major improvements; windows, doors, etc. Can we roll the gain into this existing mortgage to minimize taxes? E-gads! Is there any way to take a partial exclusion?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.