Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RSL41 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Rental, then wrap around contrat on residence Date: 4/17/2001 10:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First of all, let me thank those who have contributed in this board on the subject. I'm getting better informed, but not there yet...

My situation is as follows:

In December of '99, we found our "dream house" (the 13th time in our 24 years of marriage). Domestic tranquility at stake, I told my wife, who is a realtor, to just "buy it". We were fortunate and got it for a very good price. However, we were unable to find a buyer for our former residence.

We did find a couple willing to rent the propery and who signed a rental contract from December, 1999, through May, 2000. In my 1999 return I reported rental income of $1026 for December and expenses of $7405 (including $1132 depreciation), for a loss of $6379.

Things went well until the renters found a property to buy. They moved out in April and left without paying the last month. I then put the propery back on the market and negotiated a wrap-around deal (All Incluseve Trust Deed). The new owner moved in on June 14, 1999. He payed me a sum up front and continues to pay all related expenses (principal, interest, taxes, etc.), with the balance due June 14, 2002. This relationship is working very well, with all payments received in a timely manner. With the interest rates now becoming attractive, we are planning on having the AITD contract terminated this August.

If you have read this far, thanks for your interest.

Now, here's my problem. I used "Turbo Tax" for my 2000 return. It treats my rental and then sold (installment sale) property as income, and makes no provision for the fact that the property was my main residence, as I believe it still qualifies. The tax implication is enormous!

I opted for treating the transaction as a wash (no effect on my income), payed the resulting tax obligation, and filed for an extension until I find out how to properly report.

I have therefore bought some time. I'll try to get educated enough to file the proper return. If not able to handle it myself (I do have an MBA, for whatever it's worth), I will contract to have the return prepared.

I would be sincerely grateful for any input from the learned contributors of this board.

Thanks and best regards,

RSL41

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement