Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71307  
Subject: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/6/2012 10:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DW has an '06 Avalon with over 113K on it.We've planned on trading it in for a new car in the next 6 weeks.Here's the dilemma:

Inspection in due by the end of this month.I know it is going to need some work to pass inspection (new tires,battery,some suspension work since something has been making a "wrump-wrump-wrump" sound from the right front area).

DW just called me & said she hit a truck while turning at an intersection,tearing her right passenger mirror off,now dangling by the wiring.The other driver of the big truck didn't see any damage to his vehicle & told her 'not to worry about it',then he drove off.No one was hurt.
My wife had been in an accident a year ago.Our insurance rates didn't go up then,but would if another is reported.

Should we report it to our insurance agent?

If we're trading it in soon,should we fix it & renew the inspection first,or trade it in as is? (Maybe just duct-tape it in place if possible till the trade-in?

I haven't seen the car yet.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69579 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/6/2012 10:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
DW just called me & said she hit a truck while turning at an intersection,tearing her right passenger mirror off,now dangling by the wiring.The other driver of the big truck didn't see any damage to his vehicle & told her 'not to worry about it',then he drove off.No one was hurt.
My wife had been in an accident a year ago.Our insurance rates didn't go up then,but would if another is reported.

Should we report it to our insurance agent?

I wouldn't report it. The passenger power mirror on my 2003 Toyota Camry was broke off similar to your mirror. I found a third-party mirror online that was painted the same as the car. The mirror was cheap (less than $200 IIRC) and easy to replace. I would either look for a third party mirror or an OEM mirror from a junk yard.

Are you just tired of the Avalon? A six-year old Avalon with 113K miles is just getting broken in. If you make the other repairs, you should be able to drive another 90K miles. If I was in a need for a car right now, I'd look at it myself. Have you considered selling it yourself?

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69580 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/6/2012 6:26 PM
I kind of agree on keep. '06 wasn't a bad year for the Avalon (the generation after had problems and was rated below average by CR). The new one that just came out definitely addresses a lot of the "boring," but loaded out can tickle $40K.

On a side note of personal experience. Back in 1997 I was in the middle of buying a new vehicle. I was driving my truck on the last day of ownership to work and got the driver side wing mirror ripped off (same thing dangling by the wires). No other damage - I was horrified. I came in to get the keys on the vehicle and sheepishly brought up the "problem" on the trade, which we had previously agreed to. Dealer didn't care. Gave me the impression that wing mirror loss is rather common (more common that I guess the average person would think)

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69581 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/7/2012 1:54 AM
The transmission went out on my parents Oldsmobile as they were driving it to the dealership to trade it off. Dealer just laughed and said they had perfect timing.

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69582 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/7/2012 7:58 AM
I finally got to see the damage.The mirror housing was torn off the base.The base was separated from the door itself.There is a 1 1/2 inch plastic chunk out of the front,7 a lot of the paint is gone.

I didn't worry about re-establishing motor control over the mirror.I superglued the mirror to the base,then the base to the door.
Had two long streams of superglue that ran down the side of the door (oops)

I used most of the tube of touch-up paint to do a half-@ssed job covering the now black exposed plastic.Last night I spent an hour walking up & down the road,flashlight in hand, where my wife had the accident hoping to find the big chunk of missing plastic.No luck.

I kept the garage door closed but left the connecting door to the kitchen open all night to keep the temp over 50 degrees.

Later this morning,I'm going to Lowes to see what my options are for patching the hole in the mirror frame.I let the wife take my truck to work since I planned on using the cycle to get around today.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69583 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/7/2012 11:58 AM
Recommendations: 4
Be careful - an ugly repair I feel is worse than no repair at all when it comes to cosmetics and minor damage. If you're in uncharted territory you could be doing more harm than good.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69584 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/7/2012 12:37 PM
I finally got to see the damage.The mirror housing was torn off the base.The base was separated from the door itself.There is a 1 1/2 inch plastic chunk out of the front,7 a lot of the paint is gone.

I didn't worry about re-establishing motor control over the mirror.I superglued the mirror to the base,then the base to the door.
Had two long streams of superglue that ran down the side of the door (oops)

I agree with milligram that an ugly repair may be worse than no repair. You didn't mention any damage to the door itself. It doesn't matter that the base is broken. A new third party or used OEM mirror will have the base attached to the mirror. The base is attached with one or more bolts that are assessable from inside the car. The wires on the mirror have a snap connector that connects to the wires in the door. There is no splicing involved. The motor is in the replacement mirror so connecting the wires re-establishes motor control from the driver's seat. It is about a 15 minute replacement job. I'd rate the difficulty at about a 2 on a scale of 10. Unpainted third party mirrors are around $50 for your car. You could probably find a painted one like I did for my Camry. Or a painted OEM from a salvage yard is an option.

Either trade in the car as is or do the inexpensive repair. I still think you should keep the car.

PSU

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69587 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/9/2012 4:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'd rate the difficulty at about a 2 on a scale of 10.

Not so fast. If it is designed in such a way that you have to remove the door liner, some of them can be a real witch with a b to remove. If it is bolt, gasket and plug and play, completely agree that this is a very easy job. If you're pulling door liners, arm rests, wiring harness for power locks, windows, mirrors, seats, etc. etc. it can get ugly fast.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69588 of 71307
Subject: Re: Repair Before Trade-in? Date: 11/9/2012 5:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
Not so fast. If it is designed in such a way that you have to remove the door liner, some of them can be a real witch with a b to remove. If it is bolt, gasket and plug and play, completely agree that this is a very easy job. If you're pulling door liners, arm rests, wiring harness for power locks, windows, mirrors, seats, etc. etc. it can get ugly fast.

I'm assuming the Lexus is sharing similar design characteristics to my Toyota. On the Toyota, access to the mirror hardware is behind a small triangular cover in the corner of the window. The door liner does not need to be removed. Of course, my assumption could be wrong.

PSU

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement