Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My employer accidentally sent me an additional check after I had left the company. Being the honest soul that I am, I let them know, and paid them back the money they overpaid me.

The problem, however, is that they didn't alter my W-2 form to show the correct amount I had been paid, nor did they refund me the FICA, federal income tax, or state income tax I paid on those "earnings". How do I report this on my income tax return so that I don't have to pay taxes on money I never earned?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.