Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dvla Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Reporting Cash Proceeds from AT&T/Media One Merg Date: 3/9/2001 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If the only Media One stock you held was acquired as a result of owning US West, what date do you enter on Schedule D? The date you first got US West (e.g., via AT&T divestiture in 1984) ?? The date of the last US West stock split in 1990?? Or, is it another date?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48032 of 121061
Subject: Re: Reporting Cash Proceeds from AT&T/Media One Date: 3/9/2001 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If the only Media One stock you held was acquired as a result of owning US West, what date do you enter on Schedule D? The date you first got US West (e.g., via AT&T divestiture in 1984) ?? The date of the last US West stock split in 1990?? Or, is it another date?

Your first guess is closest. It's the date you acquired the US West stock. However, if you got the US West in the ATT breakup, your acquisition date for the US West is the date you acquired the AT&T stock. So your acquisition date for Media One could be the date you bought AT&T. Or the date you bought US West. But in a way it really doesn't matter. As long as it was more that a year before you sold the Media One/US West/ATT stock, you'll get long-term treatment of the gain or loss.

--Peter

P.S.
It reminds me of a children's song:

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly.
I don't know why she swallowed a fly.
...Skipping a bit...
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
The wiggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
Perhaps she'll die.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement