Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HappyPants Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Reporting option splits on Schedule D Date: 4/2/2000 1:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have some options that split because the underlying security split. When I report the eventual gain or loss on my taxes, which option symbol do I use on Schedule D, the pre- or post-split option description?

I'm mainly asking this out of curiosity as I'll have to report it on year 2000 taxes.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33289 of 121565
Subject: Re: Reporting option splits on Schedule D Date: 4/2/2000 1:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When this has come up with my options I've used the post-split symbol; nobody ever argued. Also when I have sold LEAPS the symbol changes when the LEAP has about 9 months to go; I use the post-change symbol.
Of course, as far as how much tax we owe, it makes no difference, and either symbol should identify the security traded. The IRS directions and the little booklet on options that we must all read don't deal with this matter.
Best wishes, Chris

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement