UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947396  
Subject: Republican minority outreach in action Date: 3/29/2013 9:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 39
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop-lawmaker-calls-hispan...

During a discussion about ongoing challenges to the economy Thursday, Alaska Republican Rep. Don Young referred to Hispanic workers as "wetbacks," an ethnic slur used to describe migrant workers.

“My father had a ranch; we used to have 50-60 wetbacks to pick tomatoes,” Young told Alaska public radio station KRBD. “It takes two people to pick the same tomatoes now. It’s all done by machine.”

And the GOP wonders why they only get 30% of the Hispanic vote.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868062 of 1947396
Subject: Re: Republican minority outreach in action Date: 3/29/2013 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4

Actually, it's puzzling that they got as much as 30%. I don't understand why any Hispanics would vote for them (also African-Americans and anyone else making less than $250,000 per year).

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868122 of 1947396
Subject: Re: Republican minority outreach in action Date: 3/29/2013 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 0

I wonder why, too. I would think it should be closer to 10%.

Author: olRoger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1868133 of 1947396
Subject: Re: Republican minority outreach in action Date: 3/29/2013 7:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
Cuban Americans are part of Hispanic vote. Immigration was never an issue for Porto Rico. Many southwestern Hispanics are Hispanic in name only as the families have been on the land longer than Gringos. The problems and life do not match the stereotypes that the big parties (both) have. Hispanic shop owners may have fallen for the 'if it is good for the richest, it will help the job creators'. Many many lower income repubs believe they are a step away from striking it rich. If someone tells them the democrats are keeping them down, that their failure to be rich was not their own fault (but the democrats were keeping them down), then ....

It is so much easier to think the outside forces are responsible for the failure of dreams.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement