UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: KangXing Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3433  
Subject: Research in SH Date: 8/14/2011 5:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,

I'll be doing some research on the ground here in China over the next few months. If you've got any requests for companies to look into, just post here.

I'm your man in China.

??

some possible tickers:
CGA
YONG
WWIN
GRRF
NOAH
SYSW
XIN
DNKN
YUM
LFC
BRCM
PTR
CEO
GRO
CPC
DQ
GU
SHI
CHOP
CHL
CHA
CHU
CHC
HNP
SINA
BIDU
NTES
SOHU
CTRP
YOKU
EDU
MCOX
CMM
GSH
CYOU
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3405 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 8/14/2011 9:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
SEED and FEED interest me.

W.D.

Author: KangXing Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3406 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 8/17/2011 10:40 PM
...on it

Author: akakroke One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3407 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 8/18/2011 9:20 AM
I'm 'very' interested in CCSC. Any little, insights like employee moral, customer feedback, etc. would be of great interest.

Thanks!
akakroke

Author: KangXing Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3408 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 8/25/2011 6:16 AM
Recommendations: 2
akakroke

They're doing very well out in Sichuan and Chongqing. No real feel of them yet here on the East Coast.

Their management style is similar to Chik fil A in the USA if you are familiar with the chain. General feedback is possitive. Restaurants are a different business completely considering the expectations of service and the difficulty for stores to cook consistant meals. But these guys are doing better than any Chinese chain I know of. They also seem to atract Westerners which would be a double dose of luck for this company.

Gu Kang Xing

Author: akakroke One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3409 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 8/25/2011 2:57 PM
Gu,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Truly there's nothing like having a living person 'in the field' who can sample consumer sentiment. YOU have just justified this year's subscription to SA!

Peace and happy eating,
Peter aka akakroke

Author: KangXing Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3410 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 9/3/2011 2:36 AM
Don't worry W.D.

I haven't forgotten about you. I'm having some difficulty verifying some FEED information. I'll get back to you when I have what I need.

Kang Xing

Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3411 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 9/6/2011 12:08 PM
Don't worry W.D.

Not worried but flattered you are willing to help!

This is a tough company to judge because it has spent so much money in the US building up both pig breeding operations and, now, end-product brands. The China operations were badly damaged by flooding but new facilities were part of the original plan. It is hard for me to calculate if this company will go broke before it gets its act together. I'd live to see the CEO do a US-style conference call...

Thank you for considering my request!

W.D.

Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3412 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 9/13/2011 11:09 PM
Problem with FEED?

Goldfarb Branham LLP is investigating whether the board of directors of AgFeed Industries (NASDAQ:FEED - News) violated shareholder protection laws by issuing allegedly distorted statements and omitting relevant information to artificially inflate the company’s worth. Concerned investors are encouraged to contact attorney Hamilton Lindley at 877-583-2855 or hlindley@goldfarbbranham.com about their rights and remedies.

“Following promising assurances by Chairman and CEO John Stadler, AgFeed issued a release on August 2, 2011 detailing a $17 million loss which has caused shares to fall nearly 40%,” securities lawyer Hamilton Lindley said. “Our proposed shareholder lawsuit will ensure that the company place proper internal controls to police deceptive behavior and to reinforce the company’s profitability for shareholders.”

The stock is now $.85 a share. I do not have a lot of money in this but am watching US pork prices to see if this company has what it takes to make its Chinese investments. Without profitable US operations, and now they have retail brands to get right, the funding for China is not here...

Still interested in a feet-on-the-ground look from China...

W.D.

Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3413 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 9/15/2011 11:54 PM
SEED cratered yesterday on news of a drop in sales and its CEO resignation:

During the third quarter of fiscal 2011, the Company generated revenues of RMB244.7 million (US$37.4 million), compared with RMB462.2 million (US$68.1 million) generated in the three months ended June 30, 2010. The goods already sold and delivered to customers can be seen as Deferred Revenue line on the balance sheet and the Advances from Customers records the advance cash receipts from customers this selling season. The lower amount of revenues this quarter is in part due to a later application of the distributor discount this 2011 selling season resulting in a later recognition of revenue this year.

Gross profit for the three months ended June 30, 2011 was RMB85.8 million (US$13.1 million) compared to RMB190.9 million (US$28.1 million) in the same period of the prior year.

Based on its current outlook, and existing and anticipated business conditions, Origin lowers the revenue guidance for FY 2011 in the range of RMB 530 million to RMB 550 million.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Origin-Agritech-Limited-bw-236...

Mr. Liang Yuan, President, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and Director has informed Origin of his intention to resign from his current position as President and Chief Executive Officer for personal reasons effective immediately. Dr. Gengchen Han, Chairman of Origin, will assume the role of acting CEO.

As Origin is moving from traditional hybrid seed business to high-entry-barrier biotech GMO, we will also take this opportunity to transition to a professional management team for future business operations.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Origin-Agritech-Announces-bw-3...

I am not sure what a "professional management team" means but I would take a successful founder any day to a bunch of educated professionals. But, SEED is now on this new path.

The company also reported this:

As a result, the Jilin Changrong subsidiary will withdraw its seed registration and fold current operations into Origin’s existing Northeast distribution and Jinong Hi-tech Company. Origin will continue to hold 23% of Jinong Hi-tech. Originally, Jilin Changrong was formed as a collaborative effort between Origin and Jinong Hi-tech. Prior to the withdrawal, Origin Agritech directly held 53.95% of Jilin Changrong.

Commenting on the restructuring, Dr. Gengchen Han, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Origin, said, “We are pleased to have realized operational efficiencies from our restructuring in the Northeast. This current restructure, coupled with our new production unit in Xinjiang, will allow Origin to allocate resources to areas where we can achieve stronger returns for the long term. Leveraging on our enhanced technological and distribution platform, we will continue to innovate to better address Chinese farmers’ demand for premium agricultural product solutions.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Origin-Agritech-Limited-bw-270...

These press releases are a lot of fog to me. Why is the 2011 estimate now lower? Who is the new "team" (which sounds like more than one person)? If the earlier merger wasn't the best way to leverage the company's operations, you do it? It seems, based on what I read in the US about the lack of clarity in Chinese company financial records, that SEED found a skunk in the Jinong house. To save face, they restructured the deal and left the skunk with Jinong. Does anyone see this differently?

SEED looks like it is in trouble. But, it has a lot of cash and very little debt. When I see one red flag, like a CEO leaving, I usually stop watching a stock. But with all these negatives, it is really hard to continue watching. If the government wasn't providing a protected environemnt for GMO seeds, and SEED wasn't a recongized leader here, if would be easy to walk away. But, the potential is now enchanced by the stock hovering at $2 and change. If the company's long-term potential is still in good shape, this could be a big multi-bagger in the future. [This is being said by a guy who got stung in AMSC.]

Unsure what to think... Not buying in the near future...

W.D.

Author: KangXing Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3414 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 9/17/2011 11:46 PM
Still looking into a few contacts of mine that are closer to the industry than I am. But since you seem to be very active here I'll give you what I have.

I would avoid FEED unless some new details come out to convince me otherwise.

I'd wait on SEED because there too many hands on the scales making it hard to get a good read out. You're right about the government assistance but China has been known to cut funding for one company if there seems to be trouble at the top in favor of another one.

I'll focus my efforts on SEED to give you a better picture.

KangXing

Author: KangXing Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3416 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 11/15/2011 10:12 PM
still waiting on some advice from a guy in Singapore. sorry for the long wait

KangXing

Author: akakroke One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3417 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 1/18/2012 12:23 PM
Hi again Gu,

I'm back with one more question but first, Happy New Year!

Please read this article and let me know what you think of it ... thanks!!!

http://digicha.com/index.php/2012/01/tencent-is-going-after-...

akakroke aka Peter

Author: akakroke One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3418 of 3433
Subject: Re: Research in SH Date: 1/18/2012 12:27 PM
Oops, just saw this KangXing:

"in China over the next few months."

I don't know if you're still there but just on a non-stock note, I've begun the practice of Taijiquan....

akakroke

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement