UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63252  
Subject: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

WTF is the deal with this movie? After seeing rave reviews and a 4-star rating at Netflix, I finally rented this and thought it was crap. A bunch of guys screaming at each other and killing each other isn't great acting, nor is it a great movie. Throw in too much fake blood, needless use of the n-word, too many long-winded jokes that weren't worth the effort, and I kept waiting for the movie to actually get good. It never did.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40835 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 11:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
WTF is the deal with this movie? After seeing rave reviews and a 4-star rating at Netflix, I finally rented this and thought it was crap. A bunch of guys screaming at each other and killing each other isn't great acting, nor is it a great movie. Throw in too much fake blood, needless use of the n-word, too many long-winded jokes that weren't worth the effort, and I kept waiting for the movie to actually get good. It never did.

My mom hated it too.

Author: andjj Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40836 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 12:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
Your first Tarantino film? I wish everyone would get off his jock.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40837 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 1:19 PM
Recommendations: 0

No, I've seen most of them.

Author: AngryCandy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40838 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 3:06 PM
Recommendations: 7
It's the only great Tarantino film, and the only one that has aged well. Even Pulp Fiction, in just 10 years, has lost much of its luster. "Dogs" remains tense, stylish and darkly funny. I think it benefits greatly from being the film made before he was officially "Quentin Tarantino" so it lacks the self-consciousness of his subsequent work. QT has always gotten great performances out of his casts even in his lesser films, but the acting here is wonderful from top to bottom. I appreciate a different performance each time - now I think I might like Lawrence Tierney's best of the bunch.

-chris

Author: EricTaller Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40839 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 3:30 PM
Throw in too much fake blood

Funny that you say that because I read somewhere that they had a paramedic on the set to vouch for the reality in the amount of blood lost...to make sure that someone could still function while loosing that amount of blood.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40840 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:01 PM

Speaking of that, I have a question about the final scene (spoiler ahead):

The old guy (Lawrence T?) shoots Roth, Keitel shoots the old guy, Penn shoots Keitel, but who the hell shoots Penn? Was it Roth? I don't remember him lifting a gun with the rest of them.

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40841 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:24 PM
The old guy (Lawrence T?) shoots Roth, Keitel shoots the old guy, Penn shoots Keitel, but who the hell shoots Penn? Was it Roth? I don't remember him lifting a gun with the rest of them.

Plot hole. It's been a while since i've seen it, but as i recall there were more dead bodies at the end than there were shots fired. Total goof up.

Bon

Author: Sarcasman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40842 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:28 PM
The old guy (Lawrence T?) shoots Roth, Keitel shoots the old guy, Penn shoots Keitel, but who the hell shoots Penn?

Greedo.

Author: DJWar Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40843 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:33 PM
It's the only great Tarantino film, and the only one that has aged well. Even Pulp Fiction, in just 10 years, has lost much of its luster.

Whatever.

Pulp Fiction is a lot better than RD. Sometimes I think you're on crack, man.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40846 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:40 PM
war: Pulp Fiction is a lot better than RD. Sometimes I think you're on crack, man.

Yeah, PF is like what Tarantino was trying to do with RD, but didn't have his act together enough to pull off.

Author: EricTaller Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40847 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:46 PM

According to the script: http://quentin-tarantino.8m.com/dogsscript.htm

Mr. White, or Harvey Keitel, kills Eddie/Chris Penn.

Joe FIRES three times, HITTING Mr. Orange with every one.

Mr. White SHOOTS Joe twice in the face. Joe brings his
hands up to his face, screaming, and falls to the ground.

Eddie FIRES at Mr. White, HITTING him three times in the
chest.

Mr. White brings his gun around on Eddie and SHOOTS him.

The two men FALL to their knees, FIRING at each other.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40849 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:58 PM

I guess my main gripe is that the whole time, I'm thinking "maybe when we finish arguing and screaming and bleeding and get out of the warehouse and get to the meat of the movie, it'll get better." After an hour or so, it dawned on me.....arguing and screaming and bleeding in the warehouse IS the friggin movie. There IS no meat. It might have made an interesting 60-minute episode of some TV series, but that's not enough material to carry a full length film.

I could see a film professor grading this: "Um, you've got a couple of interesting ideas here....scenes shown out of order, that's kind of cool, we don't see the actual robbery, that's interesting. But form isn't enough--it would help to have some kind of plot, you know. D+."

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40850 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 4:59 PM

The scene that actually ended up in the movie didn't have nearly this many shots.

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40852 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 7:35 PM
I guess my main gripe is that the whole time, I'm thinking "maybe when we finish arguing and screaming and bleeding and get out of the warehouse and get to the meat of the movie, it'll get better."

I take it you are not a fan of another great movie, Glengarry Glen Ross?

RJ

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40854 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 9:57 PM

RotJ: I take it you are not a fan of another great movie, Glengarry Glen Ross?

If I said I'd never heard of it, would that be bad?

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40855 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/6/2005 10:04 PM
RotJ: I take it you are not a fan of another great movie, Glengarry Glen Ross?

If I said I'd never heard of it, would that be bad?

No.

But it would certainly answer a few questions.

Author: Jamoc Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40859 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/7/2005 1:58 PM

Actually, I watched this one frame by frame.

Joe shoots Orange
White shoots Joe
Penn (can't remember his character's name) shoots White
As White goes down, White shoots Penn.

Author: RejectPope One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40865 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/7/2005 7:24 PM
I could see a film professor grading this: "Um, you've got a couple of interesting ideas here....scenes shown out of order, that's kind of cool, we don't see the actual robbery, that's interesting. But form isn't enough--it would help to have some kind of plot, you know. D+."

(ahem)

This movie, by definition, does have a plot, just not one that you appreciate. Thats kind of like me saying, "Independence Day doesn't have any aliens in it." Sure it does, just no hot, naked ones like Natasha Henstridge...

Reject

Author: TheNajdorfDefens Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40874 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/9/2005 10:22 AM
1. The acting is terrific. Roth, Keitel, Tierney, Madsen. Madsen was amazing the first few times I saw it.

2. The dialogue is amazing.

3. The pacing and scene placement is impressive. Good flashbacks without being overly cutesy or clever.

4. They seemed like real criminals and cops, not supercops like Jackie Chan and Mel Gibson, not brilliant thieves either.

I happened to see it at the Miami Arts Festival before it was released in theatres, and still remember walking out of there going, Wow, this is going to be huge, either cult favorite or regular. A total 4-star film. Certainly no one had heard of Quentin before this hit the festival circuit.

Naj

Author: Gain330 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40912 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/11/2005 7:29 PM
I agree with the original poster whole heartedly on RD. But I generally don't care for QT's movies. Most recently, I thought Kill Bill I was fairly entertaining but KBII was a complete waste of my time. Another much aclaimed movie that I would throw in on the scrap heap with these movies is Fight Club. What an anoying movie. Oh well, I just watched the Canadian film Snow Walker and thought it was really good. RD fans would probalbly been extremely bored with it.

Author: alchook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40913 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 6/11/2005 8:03 PM
I agree with the original poster whole heartedly on RD. But I generally don't care for QT's movies. Most recently, I thought Kill Bill I was fairly entertaining but KBII was a complete waste of my time.

I know how you feel.

I hate these Star Wars movies. The first three were horrible. Since then, though, they've just gotten worse. Especially the last one. I can't understand what everyone sees in it, even after watching it four times.

People are idiots.

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41531 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 8/4/2005 11:03 PM
Joe shoots Orange
White shoots Joe

Nope.

Orange shoots Eddie (Penn).

RJ - just watched it.

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41532 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 8/4/2005 11:17 PM
Joe shoots Orange
White shoots Joe

Nope.
Orange shoots Eddie (Penn).

RJ - just watched it.

Not sure what version you watched, but I've seen it on slow-mo and White turns and fires a second shot.

Orange doesn't even have a gun to shoot Eddie with.

- C -

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41533 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 8/4/2005 11:27 PM
Not sure what version you watched, but I've seen it on slow-mo and White turns and fires a second shot.

Well in the one I just saw on IFC, Orange has a gun pointed on Eddie.

I will watch it again to verify after Jackie Brown is over.

RJ

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62169 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 12/27/2012 11:39 PM
I guess my main gripe is that the whole time, I'm thinking "maybe when we finish arguing and screaming and bleeding and get out of the warehouse and get to the meat of the movie, it'll get better."

-----

I take it you are not a fan of another great movie, Glengarry Glen Ross?

I just watched it, and I thought it was brilliant. Much more better than Reservoir Dogs.

Sorry it took seven years to get back to you.

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62170 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 12/29/2012 2:00 AM
Oh fer Christ sakes feedme, maybe we can hook you up with the critics of Casablanca or maybe Gone With The Wind.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 62171 of 63252
Subject: Re: Reservoir Dogs Date: 12/29/2012 2:38 AM
maybe we can hook you up with the critics of Casablanca or maybe Gone With The Wind.

Sounds like you're starting a list of my least favorite films.

--fleg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement