Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Copied from another thread with a related problem.

JAFO has it right on all counts. You always pay tax to the state where you work (except if that state has a reciprocal agreement with your resident state).

A family member has following situation:

She has a contract with a DC media Co. that results in 1099 income.
(curently, no state taxes are withheld on the 1099)
She is currently a resident of California, and fulfills contract by recording voice commercials and submits to contract client via internet.

Is it correct that the state of Residence where work is accomplished, California, is where all income will be taxed?

Not to further complicate but often she will be traveling to other states and may accomplish her recording and internet transfers to the Client while on the road. Any change in answer?
Any comments very much appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.