Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Resident aliens of the USA are taxed exactly like US citizens. They get a break on the first $675K.

NON-resident aliens of the USA with US brokerage accounts only get a $60K exemption. That is why it is important for non-resident aliens to invest via an IBC.

If a non-resident alien does not use an IBC, he or she should at least open a joint account with a spouse or a trusted person so if the account-holder dies, the joint account-holder can transfer the stocks to an off-shore or foreign broker.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.