Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: donalto Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123037  
Subject: resident non-resident foreign income help! Date: 4/15/2011 1:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

My wife was physically present in the United States for all of 2010. She entered on a tourist visa in January; re-entered on fiance visa in June; we were married in July; her conditional permanent residency was granted in November.

January through September she was on maternity leave and received income from her Canadian employer. She had no income Oct-Dec, and did not work in the U.S. She paid Canadian taxes on the income.

I'm a U.S. citizen and live and work in the U.S. Aside from marrying a Canadian with foreign income for 2010, my tax return is straightforward and unremarkable.

We're planning on filing "married, filing jointly" unless there is a reason not to.


How am I supposed to handle her foreign income? I assume I supposed to include it on our U.S. return, but how?

Everything I've read seems to be aimed at citizens and permanent residents living and working abroad, permanent residents and alien residents working in the U.S., or people who lived and worked part of the year in one country and the rest in the U.S. None of these seem to apply to our situation.

Thanks in advance.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread