UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telone One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75339  
Subject: Re: Drug Stocks Date: 9/25/2000 12:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
ResNullius said:"Drug stocks have been a very profitable area for many years. Anyone have any wisdom on whether the next couple of years
look to be as bright as the last several years. Buy and hold is my philosophy, but I have been wondering about it's applicability
to drug stocks, given the present state of politics and economics."

I reply: While drug stocks in general may be good, individual drug companies may be a rolly coaster. I rode Lilly (LLY) up to $105 about 18 months ago, then down to mid 50's on patent expiration fears for Prozac, then up to $108 on some new discovery, then down 30 pts on the news that the genereic form of Prozac may come sooner. It is now in the low 80's. In general, the gov appears to want to rein in the prescription costs which, if and when enacted, will bring lower profits to these companies. So, in summary, IMHO, I would not look to drugs as a sure-fire winner in the short term (2-3 years).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement