Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: marlenus Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19378  
Subject: Response to Pixy's LIving Will article Date: 4/26/2000 8:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I read this article and learned about a few things that I wasn't aware of. I decided to forward it to my father to see what he thought about it and to educate him in the event there was some information he wasn't familiar with either. His response was incredibly scary to me.

Several years ago, my mother was in a terrible car wreck. I lived 1500 miles away and went to rush down, but my father told me that everything was going to be OK and he'd call me if anything changed. Well, yesterday in the response to Pixy's forwarded article I learned that what I was told four years ago was a lie.

What I'm going to post isn't saying one way or another that Pixy's recommendations are right or wrong, but that they are something that needs to be given some serious thought. Anyway, below is the email from my dad:

> some interesting stuff in here i had never heard of.
>

Yes, interesting stuff. I have only one disagreement.

First, I have both a durable and medical power of
attorney for Grampy [ed: my 93 year old grandfather].

Mom and I have the same for each other.

I NOW do not believe in living wills (at least not
at our age [ed: mom and dad are in their mid 50's]). After Mom was in the car accident, they
kept her alive by extra-ordinary means until I got
to the hospital 9 hours later. At that time, they
told me to make funeral arrangements. If Mom had a
living will, she wouldn't be alive today. We have
discussed it and we will make the decision for each
other depending on circumstances. No doctor will make
it for us. Obviously, this is a very emotional issue
for me. Hope I don't sound like I'm preaching.

As far as wills for Mom and me, I plead guilty. Your brother has been bugging us to get wills done and our intent is good, but we just haven't gotten to it yet. But we agree and will schedule it as soon as we can.

Thanks for the info.

Love,
Pop
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement