Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445759  
Subject: responsible meat eating Date: 11/13/2012 11:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
From Sierra Club...yes, you can splurge on that turkey.

http://sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/2012/11/sustainable-... (the link in the email mentioned poultry, but the article doesn't much)

Here are six good questions to get the conversation started:

1.) Are your animals fed with organic feed?

2.) Are your animals raised on pasture?

3.) Are your cows and lambs "grass finished"?

4.) How do you handle your animals' manure?

5.) Do you give antibiotics to healthy animals?

6.) Do you use heritage breeds?

Sustainable fish:
http://sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/2012/11/6-secrets-fo...

1.) Freshwater Farms

2.) All-American Seafood

3.) Don't Eat Predators

4.) Swell Shells

5.) Traps, not Trawls

6.) Troll lines, not Longlines

Eat invasive species:
http://sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/2012/11/eat-invasive...

1.) Escargot

2.) Wild Boar-B-Q

3.) Lionfish Fillet

4.) Frog's Legs

5.) Softshell Crab
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412968 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 0
From Sierra Club...yes, you can splurge on that turkey.

I don't like turkey.
It's dry. Never mind telling me that your mom/wife/sister/brother/priest makes the MOST MOIST turkey in the world. You are lying. It's dry. It's always dry. Always.

Just like those people who tell me THEIR bread pudding isn't soggy.
Right.

AM

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412972 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 1
It's dry because it's lean. 1poorlady does a brine, and it generally comes out moist (for a turkey).

I like turkey...maybe twice a year. Usually by the time we finish one I've had my fill of turkey sandwiches (etc) for a long time.

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412977 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 10:41 AM
"I don't like turkey.
It's dry"

Alton Brown said on NPR yesterday that turkey is usually served dry because people waste their time pulling it out of the oven, letting the heat out and basting it with fluids that bounce off the skin without reaching the meat - thereby drying it out when they think they are doing the opposite.

I haven't had any poultry beef or pork since I read that book a few months ago but they still smell good and make my mouth water.

Come to think of it, as a child I did cover it with gravy and/or ask for the drumstick which wasn't as dry as the breast.

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412980 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 11:42 AM
Come to think of it, as a child I did cover it with gravy

Heh... that was my first thought... "Whaddya mean it's DRY? Look at all that gravy it's soaking in on my plate!" Every time, since I was a child and probably until my last bite of turkey ever.

And second the brine thing... that's what happens to turkeys that visit our house, too. Om nom nom.

-n8

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412986 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 12:15 PM

I haven't had any poultry beef or pork since I read that book a few months ago but they still smell good and make my mouth water.

What book?

AM

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412988 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 12:22 PM
It's dry because it's lean. 1poorlady does a brine, and it generally comes out moist (for a turkey).

I've been doing a turkey for Christmas for a few years. I soak it in brine, then roast it standing upright on a rack, over a wood-charcoal fire. The skin gets really crispy, but the meat stays moist, and I credit the brining.

--FY

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412989 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 12:34 PM
I've been doing a turkey for Christmas for a few years. I soak it in brine, then roast it standing upright on a rack, over a wood-charcoal fire. The skin gets really crispy, but the meat stays moist, and I credit the brining.

I always brine the turkeys I cook. It does make them juicier. The downside is that the drippings can't be used for gravy unless you really like salty gravy.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412990 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 12:38 PM
What book?

Probably Fast Food Nation.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412993 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 12:58 PM
The downside is that the drippings can't be used for gravy unless you really like salty gravy.

Hmm, probably true. I guess none of us are big gravy fans, or haven't complained if we are :-), so we haven't missed it.

--FY

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412995 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 1:05 PM
I'm disapointed, FY. I thought you'd tell us how you hunt your own wild turkey using only primitive weapons.

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413010 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 3:13 PM
Yep. I just didn't want to talk about it any more for fear of becoming evangelical about a purely personal decision.

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413012 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 4:05 PM
"I don't like turkey.
It's dry"

I haven't eaten turkey in years (or any other meat for that matter), but a trick my mom taught me. When cooking the turkey, flip it over so the breast is down. That way the meatiest part soaks in the juices. You don't get the crispy skin, but the main meat is moist and tender.

As I recall from about 20 years ago when I last ate meat, it worked well.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413026 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 7:00 PM
I'm disapointed, FY. I thought you'd tell us how you hunt your own wild turkey using only primitive weapons.

As tame and plentiful as they are here, I could probably hunt them with my bare hands. :-p

--FY

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413027 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 7:42 PM

---

As tame and plentiful as they are here, I could probably hunt them with my bare hands. :-p

I think he was talking about the birds, not the whiskey.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413031 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 8:34 PM
FY: As tame and plentiful as they are here, I could probably hunt them with my bare hands. :-p

discurro: I think he was talking about the birds, not the whiskey.

Last winter, I drove by a flock of ~20 wild turkeys pretty much every day I took my daughter to school, within the confines of the Mpls/St. Paul metropolitan region. On multiple occasions I had to stop as they crossed the busy road. This was a public road in mixed woodlands adjacent to the Mississippi river. I've also seen them even in downtown Minneapolis parks surrounded by hi-rise apartments, where I'm surprised they weren't caught and eaten by nearby Somali immigrants. (Or perhaps they were...)

In any event, they seem to be migrating successfully into relatively urban environments.

rj

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413033 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 9:19 PM
The downside is that the drippings can't be used for gravy unless you really like salty gravy.

Hmm, probably true. I guess none of us are big gravy fans,

sano trick: dry brine your bird for 2 days. rinse it well with fresh water before cooking. drippings are just about normal.

also.... if you want juicy, buy small turkeys and rotissserie roast them. Rotating meat retains more juice than static meat.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413042 of 445759
Subject: Re: responsible meat eating Date: 11/14/2012 10:35 PM

--FY

I like my Wild Turkey on the rocks.

Count Upp

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement