UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: woodymw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5901  
Subject: Rest well, Doc Date: 5/30/2012 9:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://nyti.ms/KvJCkl (link to New York Times obituary)

Doc Watson died last night of complications from colon surgery - he apparently fell at his home late last week and never recovered.

Several years ago Doc was booked to perform at the inaugural Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. I bought two tickets the day they went on sale for a concert on Labor Day weekend. My dad and I were excited, and I felt lucky that Doc was coming to Arkansas.

About 3 weeks before the concert my grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer and given 6 months or less to live. We were pretty devastated, and Dad considered not going to the show ... but my mom talked him into it. Because it was the inaugural festival, the organizers wanted to put on a show ... the concert was something like 3 hours long. The opening acts could have carried their own show - the Dillards, Cedar Hill, a handful of local bands. And then Doc came out like he did in his later years - at first just him and a guitar, then joined by his grandson Richard, and then joined by his good friend Jack Lawrence. About halfway through, my dad leaned over and said to me "I'm so glad you did this." My grandfather passed away the week after Thanksgiving, and in that dark period of time I consider this day to be a singular bright spot.

Music heals, and I've considered Doc Watson a high healer ever since. Rest well, Doc. We miss you already.

Matthew
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5856 of 5901
Subject: Re: Rest well, Doc Date: 5/31/2012 9:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
I liked what Ry Cooder wrote about Doc.

"To Hear Doc Watson, You Really Had to See Him"
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/to-hear-doc-wat...

I saw him a few times over the years... and what Ry said is spot on. Docs timing, his touch ... something one develops by growing up immersed in a particular musical soup.

Thank goodness for videos so we can still watch Doc when we need/want to go to the well.

Doc may have passed on, but we have his music forever!!

Author: StealthFisher Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5857 of 5901
Subject: Re: Rest well, Doc Date: 6/13/2012 11:00 AM
Recommendations: 0
Oh, but Doc didn't play a Tele, so he must be hiding ;-)

J.P.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5858 of 5901
Subject: Re: Rest well, Doc Date: 6/13/2012 9:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
Oh, but Doc didn't play a Tele, so he must be hiding ;-)

Eckshually, Doc did play a Tele. It's documented in the biogrpahy 'Blind But Now I See."
8-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement