UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BRIANNR Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7824  
Subject: Restaurants Date: 1/3/2002 10:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Taking the wife to NYC for a couple of nights on the town. What restaurants do I book? One expensive, one middle of the road. Perhaps Town? or Quest or maybe Craft. You tell me.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2866 of 7824
Subject: Re: Restaurants Date: 1/6/2002 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
For a more expensive place, I'd suggest La Cote Basque, 60 W. 55th St.,
212-688-6525. My husband and I celebrated our anniversary there last spring, and found the food excellent, decor charming, staff relaxed and unpretentious yet attentive.

My 2 favorite middle-roaders are down in the Village. (Actually, practically all of my favorite places are, as that's where I live!) There's Chez Michallet, 90 Bedford St. (at the corner of Grove, which is also the building exterior where most of the action on 'Friends' takes place), 212-242-8309. It's French, but a more contemporary menu, fresh fresh ingredients, wonderful flavors, a cozy relaxed place. There's Blue Ribbon Bakery at Bedford and Downing Sts. No point giving the phone as they don't take reservations. Very eclectic, inspired menu. Delicious. About the best bread--baked there--you'll find anywhere. (And it's for sale, too.) Wonderful wine and beer list. Upstairs/downstairs--2 very different environments. Very competent and friendly service. Very unique--also no reservations--is Cookies & Cous Cous at 230 Thompson St. between W. 3rd and Bleecker Sts., a small hideaway owned/cheffed(?) by a Berber--Moha Orchid--with great instincts and excellent training (partly in France)/experience. A few classic Moroccan dishes, with the focus on creative use of fresh local ingredients with Moroccan seasonings. Moha loves to chat with his guests, and he's a bright and charming guy. He also makes his own ice creams and sorbets (superb), and is a highly accomplished pastry chef (French and Viennese). One further delicious and charming, cozy French place, that does take reservations, is La Metairie at the corner of W. 10th and W. 4th Sts, 212-989-0505.

Enjoy your stay.

Sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2867 of 7824
Subject: Re: Restaurants Date: 1/6/2002 2:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
Obviously, more than 2 middle-of-the-roaders there. As I wrote, other possibilities started coming to mind. Hope there aren't too many choices. If there are, it just means you have to do this more often so you can try them all and compare!

Sheila

Author: BRIANNR Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2868 of 7824
Subject: Re: Restaurants Date: 1/6/2002 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 9
Enjoy your stay.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila. They all sound good. It's gonna be a tough choice. Thanks again.

Brian

Author: BRIANNR Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2869 of 7824
Subject: Re: Restaurants Date: 1/6/2002 2:19 PM
Obviously, more than 2 middle-of-the-roaders there. As I wrote, other possibilities started coming to mind. Hope there aren't too many choices. If there are, it just means you have to do this more often so you can try them all and compare!

Sheila

I concur! :o)

br

Author: wildgander Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2890 of 7824
Subject: Re: Restaurants Date: 1/9/2002 9:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Brian - one suggestion. I frequently scan chowhound.com, a site which has great message boards and tons of info about dining - there's a board specifically for Manhattan. Hope you find it as useful as I do.

Author: BRIANNR Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2891 of 7824
Subject: Re: Restaurants Date: 1/9/2002 9:38 PM
Brian - one suggestion. I frequently scan chowhound.com, a site which has great message boards and tons of info about dining - there's a board specifically for Manhattan. Hope you find it as useful as I do.

Kewl. Thanks.

brian

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement