Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I was given some restricted stock at the end of last year. I can't sell it for a year and a half or so - and it's worthless at this stage in any case. I recently received a 1099 for "non-employee compensation" of $22500 - what the stock was apparently valued at at the time of issuance.

Is this right? to begin with I was never contracted to work for the company issuing the stock (they were a sister company of my employers and as such our company did work for the company that issued me the stock - but I never worked for them as an individual)

It seems wrong that I'm liable for a huge amount of tax on stock I have no opportunity of selling (and didn't want in the first place) - the stock was issued just after we were all laid off - so I had no expectations of the share price going anywhere but down!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement