No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey, I posted this at the Information Desk and was told the best place to get the answer would be here.
_____
I have heard a lot of good things about the ROTH IRA so I read the Fool Articles concerning how to attain one and the rules and restrictions regarding one.

I think I understand most of the restrictions, but I was left wondering whether I qualify for having one.

I am a college student without a current full-time or part-time job. In other words, I make no money from a traditional job. However, I Foolishly invest so I do *have* money. I am interested in starting a ROTH IRA, but I think I read in one of the articles that you need to have an employer.

Does this also mean that my little brother cannot start a ROTH?
_____

Hello Daniel,

Its great to hear you are off to an early start on investing Foolishly. Starting early really makes a difference.

From the info you have provided it sounds as if you qualify. Your little brother, if he's a minor I'm not sure about ( not my area of expertise, but then again, what is? ;) ). But a good place to find out more info is to post your questions on the Managing Your Finances / Retirement Investing Message Board at:

http://boards.fool.com/messages.asp?id=1040013000000000

Foolish Regards,
Barry
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement