UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49497  
Subject: Resume Service Date: 7/19/2012 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Has anyone used a paid professional service to update your resume? I'm interested simply because I've heard a good one can increase your interviews. I do well in interviews, I just want help rising above the many to score more opportunities.
How much should I expect to pay?
How effective are they?
Do you have specific recommendations of companies?
Thanks!
Ray
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48914 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/19/2012 5:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I've never used one, but I suspect that such a service is more likely to make your resume resemble all the other resumes that passed through such a process.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48915 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/19/2012 8:15 PM
Recommendations: 1
At one time, it was not uncommon for companies laying off professionals to offer an outplacement service. Help in getting your resume together is one of the services provided. You will probably find the ones in your area listed in the yellow pages.

Some people are more gifted at putting words on paper than others, and of course some professionals are not native English speakers. They can make good use of the services of a good editor.

Out placement services can also help you focus your efforts and market yourself. Sr. professionals often have too much on their resume and would be better off to have several directed at different position targets.

There are also those who try to dress up resumes with colored paper or fancy folders etc, but I think professionals find those distracting, and these days many get submitted electronically, and if on paper are immediately scanned into a system. Hence, hiring manager rarely sees the original. (But of course effective networking where you meet the hiring manager casually somewhere else can work around the resume problem.)

Out placement services have also been known to video tape practice interviews, to help you learn to present yourself better. Its a useful service to some.

It can be a useful service if provided by a former employer. Paying for it on you own can be OK, but watch out for rip off services that want to flood the area with your resume for a fee.

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48917 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/20/2012 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
Also, there is often a disconnect between the professionally written resume and the person being interviewed for the open position.

I always write my own, but I once found that the version sent to the prospective employer by the headhunter I was using had been modified so that it no longer described me correctly - but sounded more like what they were looking for. I was furious.

Author: AcctgToITandBack One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48919 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/21/2012 9:34 AM
I always write my own, but I once found that the version sent to the prospective employer by the headhunter I was using had been modified so that it no longer described me correctly - but sounded more like what they were looking for. I was furious.

This has happened to me a couple of times... not with REAL headhunters, but with employment agencies. I would not have a problem with them tweaking my resume a bit. I usually make a few adjustments to my resume to emphasize aspects of my background that match the job I am applying for when I am submitting my resume directly to a company. However, when this happened to me, the employment agency got overly zealous and made claims that were not real. I was furious as well.

Gina

Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48920 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/22/2012 12:12 PM
No first-hand experience, but have heard mixed reviews about:

http://www.resumeedge.com/

Sometimes they're terrific, sometimes useless. It appears to depend on who gets assigned to your case. If I were job-hunting, I'd give them a try.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48921 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/23/2012 12:40 PM
I've always written my own, and have gotten jobs through sites like CareerBuilder, so I feel I'm doing something right if mine's getting noticed in the avalanche of resumes hiring companies and recruiters probably get.

I highly recommend the book "Knock 'Em Dead", which has resume examples and lots of great networking/job hunting/interviewing tips.

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48928 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 7/30/2012 12:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
I highly recommend the book "Knock 'Em Dead", which has resume examples and lots of great networking/job hunting/interviewing tips.

This book is fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation.
I'm going to try this in lieu of hiring someone to help with a rewrite. The world has definitely changed in the six years since I last aggressively looked for a job. I have a solid resume and a long track record of innovative production. I've done the hard part. I just need to learn to play the game in 2012.
Ray

Author: CatBarber Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48965 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 9/17/2012 3:18 PM
I agree, write your own resume because nobody knows your work the way you do. I have plain, traditional (boring?) resume and it has always worked for me. I keep mine simple and concise.

Author: CatBarber Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48966 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 9/17/2012 3:20 PM
had been modified

Send it in an unmodifiable format so that it cannot be altered by a headhunter. I would be furious also.

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48967 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 9/17/2012 7:03 PM
Send it in an unmodifiable format...

That would have been challenging! It was 1978; the format was ink on paper, put there by a daisy wheel impact printer connected to a Vydec word processor. The agency retyped it from that. 8-)

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48968 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 9/17/2012 9:21 PM
That would have been challenging! It was 1978; the format was ink on paper, put there by a daisy wheel impact printer connected to a Vydec word processor. The agency retyped it from that. 8-)

That was one determined agency!

LWW

Author: RHinCT Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48969 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 9/17/2012 9:57 PM
Retyping it was the simplest way to put THEIR name and THEIR contact information on my resume. And in those days there were these people called secretaries, and typists who spent their days doing little else but typing onto paper (with corrections starting with a little bottle of white fluid). Often working from hand written drafts! Mine was only done on a word processor because my sister owned a word processing service with maybe half-a-dozen Vydecs - cutting edge! - that did work for law firms.

A very different world, you had to be there. 8-)

(A few years later I knew one very smart and geeky but pretty much clueless-on-several-levels guy who put his resume on the company's IBM mainframe, where we found it after he left. That meant it was ALL IN UPPER CASE and was printed on green-bar paper, wider than it was high and with holes down the sides and perforation marks top and bottom. We always figured he sent it out that way, which would have been about par for him.)

RH in CT, bit of an old geezer

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48970 of 49497
Subject: Re: Resume Service Date: 9/18/2012 10:15 AM
A very different world, you had to be there. 8-)

I very much was there. I worked for Texas A&M before we had computers. I typed the orders and envelopes on little white cards that were filed into big cabinets and we hand wrote the seat numbers by hand on every single order as we filled them.

LWW

peace and you're not as old as you think ;0)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement