UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 532  
Subject: Resumes--FEMA's Brown May Be Latest Padder Date: 9/9/2005 2:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How Reliable Is Brown's Resume?

A TIME investigation reveals discrepancies in the FEMA chief's official biographies

...Before joining FEMA, his only previous stint in emergency management, according to his bio posted on FEMA's website <was "serving as an assistant city manager with emergency services oversight." The White House press release from 2001 > stated that Brown worked for the city of Edmond, Okla., from 1975 to 1978 "overseeing the emergency services division." In fact, according to Claudia Deakins, head of public relations for the city of Edmond, Brown was an "assistant to the city manager" from 1977 to 1980, not a manager himself, and had no authority over other employees. "The assistant is more like an intern," she told TIME. "Department heads did not report to him." Brown did do a good job at his humble position, however, according to his boss. "Yes. Mike Brown worked for me. He was my administrative assistant. He was a student at Central State University," recalls former city manager Bill Dashner. "Mike used to handle a lot of details. Every now and again I'd ask him to write me a speech. He was very loyal. He was always on time. He always had on a suit and a starched white shirt." ...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1103003,00.html

Perhaps not coincidentally:

FEMA Director Brown Removed as Head of Hurricane Relief Efforts

WASHINGTON -- Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, The Associated Press has learned.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, where he was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster, according to two federal officials who declined to be identified before the announcement.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad w. Allen, who was overseeing New Orleans relief and rescue efforts....

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-090905brown_wr,0,6295241.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Unfortunately, Brown's alleged exaggerations aren't all that uncommon:

Faking Stanford

Veritas Software CFO quits after officials catch him lying about an MBA.

Veritas Software — whose name is Latin for "truth" — said Lonchar resigned as CFO and executive vice president after officials discovered he lied about getting an MBA from Stanford. The falsification was discovered by the Veritas board of directors, the board's audit committee, and independent auditors.

"I regret this misstatement of my educational background," Lonchar said. "Under the circumstances, I believe my resignation is in the best interests of both the company and myself."...

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/3006718?f=archives

Liar, Liar

Fibbing on resumes is becoming an epidemic -- and not just with entry-level candidates, either.

CFO Staff, CFO Magazine
December 01, 2002

CFOs do it. CEOs do it. Research analysts do it. Even poets laureate do it. It's the edu-fib. An edu-fib is a lie on a résumé about one's educational history, usually used early in a career to enhance professional opportunities. But if that lie is still there when an executive hits the heights of success, an edu-fib can make for some mighty embarrassing (and expensive) retractions, especially in today's low-tolerance climate for dishonesty.

According to Joseph Daniel McCool, editor of Executive Recruiter News, between 5 percent and 15 percent of executive résumés contain a falsification, embellishment, or omission. A raft of them have been outed in the past two months, including Ken Lonchar, CFO of Veritas Software; Ronald Zarrella, chairman and CEO of Bausch & Lomb; Bryan J. Mitchell, chairman and CEO of MCG Capital; Ram Kumar, director of U.S. research for Institutional Shareholder Services; Quincy Troupe, poet laureate of California (who knew poets needed résumés?); and uber-analyst Jack Grubman....

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/3007304/c_3046584?f=magazine_alsoinside

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement