UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LindberghBaby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745964  
Subject: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/4/2001 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
http://www.rumpelstilz.com/Financial%20Independence.html

I've also posted this on the LBYM board http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15101870
Print the post Back To Top
Author: twocbock Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40772 of 745964
Subject: Re: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/4/2001 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
LindberghBaby,

You're right - he makes some very good points, especially those along the lines of not waiting for your life to begin, but to start now doing those things that will give you joy. On the other hand, his take on actual financial independence is far too simplistic and I would discourage anyone from taking that section of his rant very seriously. I think we have all learned from this board that it is possible to become financially independent and that it doesn't mean one has to be a billionaire or even a millionaire.

twocbock

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40773 of 745964
Subject: Re: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/4/2001 11:03 AM
Recommendations: 15
This was probably the worst from the article,

http://www.rumpelstilz.com/Financial%20Independence.html

Ever heard the mindless expression, 'poor people work for money, and rich people let their money work for them'? Even if you let your money work for you, you are still in the responsible position of making right or wrong decisions about your investments. Money won't do that for you (at least that's what I've heard).

If rumplestilz thinks that's "mindless", then I agree, there's little chance he'll realize financial independence.

There's lots of things (e.g., index funds, buying stocks on a DRIP, etc.) that are basically one decision investments -- and folks that choose these simple strategies often outperform more active investors who pride themselves on their professionalism and hard work.

Once you point your money in the right direction, the odds are very good it "will work for you" with little or no supervision.

intercst

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40797 of 745964
Subject: Re: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/4/2001 12:27 PM
Recommendations: 10
Anyone who quotes Madonna in the middle of a tirade on FI is inherently suspect.

Author: bluesun68 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40843 of 745964
Subject: Re: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/4/2001 3:42 PM
Recommendations: 3
Obviously, the only goal in life is to be happy. Now apparently many of the happy people were hit in the head with rocks by the unhappy people a long time ago. (imagine waking up in a cold, damp cave with an empty belly and no fire, and there is that perky #$%^&* talking about how great it will be picking lice out of each others hair today. Yeah. Like you wouldn't hit them with a rock.) So, we are left with a lot of unhappy people. Now that technology has given us plenty, survival is no longer an issue. But what to do now? I'm still looking. Life is the journey, not the destination. (unless you consider 6 feet under a desirable place to be)

Author: alextheblade Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40909 of 745964
Subject: Re: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/4/2001 11:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
I liked this comment

Can you imagine an Ansel Adams retiring from photography, Pablo Picasso ...Frank Lloyd Wright ... quitting their 'job' in order to live off their saved up nest egg? Weird idea, don't you think?

although he does sound like "that perky #$%^&* talking about how great it will be picking lice out of each others hair today"

Author: Amphian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40937 of 745964
Subject: Re: Rethinking Financial Independence Date: 6/5/2001 2:58 AM
Recommendations: 5
Can you imagine an Ansel Adams retiring from photography, Pablo Picasso ...Frank Lloyd Wright ... quitting their 'job' in order to live off their saved up nest egg? Weird idea, don't you think?

These are people who had an outstanding talent into which they poured their creative energy and got money and admiration in return. Most people either aren't as focused on one thing or can't make a living off of that one thing.

Just my 2¢,

Amphian

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement