UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59799  
Subject: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/11/2012 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/oct/31/health/he-capsule31

True? Hope not. But I have seen it happen to a few people.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41975 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/11/2012 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/oct/31/health/he-capsule31

True? Hope not. But I have seen it happen to a few people." - volucris

It matters little to me. Since I believe in "life after death" it matters little to me whether I am alive "here" or alive "there." The next life is just an extension of this life. The "soul" simply transposes from the holographic projection which is our universe to the original holographic film from whence our universe arises.

Art

trans·pose /v. træns'po?z; n. 'trænspo?z/ Show Spelled [v. trans-pohz; n. trans-pohz] Show IPA verb, trans·posed, trans·pos·ing, noun
verb (used with object)
1. to change the relative position, order, or sequence of; cause to change places; interchange: to transpose the third and fourth letters of a word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Transposes?s=t

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41976 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/11/2012 7:10 PM
Recommendations: 3
It's BS. They never bother to measure how work is killing people. How much shorter would those early retiree's lives be if they were forced to keep working? If you are geared towards retirement because that is what you want but then are forced to keep working I don't think that would "keep you young". Second they even mention this in the story the early dead guys include medically forced retirements. That's people who get sick and die 6 months. Or a yr later or a week later. What does that do to "the averages".

In summary:

1) If you want to keep working, more power to you but don't get any on me
2) Those people who live longer due to early retirement LIVE LONGER
3) Work: bad
4) Retirement: good

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41988 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/12/2012 3:51 PM
It matters little to me. Since I believe in "life after death" it matters little to me whether I am alive "here" or alive "there." The next life is just an extension of this life. The "soul" simply transposes from the holographic projection which is our universe to the original holographic film from whence our universe arises.

Maybe.

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41989 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/12/2012 3:53 PM
It's BS.

As a general statement, sure it's BS, but then most statements are. I worked with a guy who was kept alive by work. He retired and died 3 months later. Inactivity did him in.

But I agree with you, I'd rather be retired, or do something more fun.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41996 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/12/2012 6:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
"Maybe." - volucris

That's what I'm betting on. I have a fairly high degree of confidence that I'm fairly close to being right. I've spent the last twelve years studying this stuff. Since 2000.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt from "The Universe As A Hologram:
"University of London physicist David Bohm, for example, believes Aspect's findings imply that objective reality does not exist, that despite its apparent solidity the universe is at heart a phantasm, a gigantic and splendidly detailed hologram."

http://www.earthportals.com/hologram.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hogan’s holometer: Testing the hypothesis of a holographic universe
October 20, 2010 | 10:00 am

"In 2008, Fermilab particle astrophysicist Craig Hogan made waves with a mind-boggling proposition: The 3D universe in which we appear to live is no more than a hologram."

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking/2010/10/20/fermilab...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And many many others......

there is a very strange connection between near death experiences and the holographic universe theory that can not be easily explained away. When I read them the connection between them just jumps out at me.

Art

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41997 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/12/2012 6:50 PM
I worked with a guy who was kept alive by work. He retired and died 3 months later. Inactivity did him in.

But I agree with you, I'd rather be retired, or do something more fun.

I know the type. I worked with a lot of people like that. It's very common in the military. People define themselves by their stripes or paygrade. Also very common among cops. My father was one. Can't be Belle o' the Ball all the time? No reason to keep living

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42025 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/14/2012 1:41 AM
I think a lot if depends on what you're retiring *from* and what you're retiring *to*.

A while back, I was told that a number of white collar employees at a certain company (I'm withholding the name) were known to die very shortly after retirement. Typically, they were all very dedicated long-term employees with very specific corporate roles and who made work their identity. Once retired, their identity was gone and they were groundless.

I took an "early out" package and "retired" from the corporate world at age 54. But for me, being "retired" really mean fulfilling a long-term goal of earning an MBA and teaching undergrad business courses. Now, I teach one or two courses a semester, juggling time between the local juco and two area universities. For me, these are truly among the best years of my life and I intend to keep going and teaching for as long as it remains fun.

BG

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42026 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/14/2012 2:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
Actuaries Reveal
Working Kills!

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/workkill.html

intercst

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42027 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/14/2012 9:11 AM
Way back when, Art sent me that article and chart. I printed it and posted it to the bulletin board at work. All the scientists saw it and commented on it, with interest (I don't remember what they said).

Anyway, 3 scientists who retired within a year or so of each other died within about 1 year of each other. One guy had heart surgery and never completely recovered. One went on a health regimen, traveled to Columbia* with his wife, went on a 30 mile bike ride and died of a heart attack (I think he overdid it.) The other one was riding a tractor/lawn mower in his North Carolina mountain community and as he was going up an incline the tractor tipped over backwards and broke his neck.

I found it amazing that they all died within a year of each other. They had all retired within about 2 or 3 years of each other. I worked with all of them on projects and such. I think the two heart problem guys were about 66 or 67, the tractor accident guy was only around 62 I think. You just never know what's going to happen in this life.

*His wife was a well known forensic anthropologist who determined circumstances of death with fragments of bones and such. She even worked on the Amelia Earhart case for a while. She died recently; she was not that old, maybe 65.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42028 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/14/2012 9:53 AM
<<I found it amazing that they all died within a year of each other. They had all retired within about 2 or 3 years of each other. I worked with all of them on projects and such. I think the two heart problem guys were about 66 or 67, the tractor accident guy was only around 62 I think. You just never know what's going to happen in this life.>>

"Eat desert first ---life is uncertain."

Motto of a local restaurant that specializes in deserts.

Retirement is subject to the same rule of thumb.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42035 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/14/2012 12:43 PM
Actuaries Reveal
Working Kills!

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/workkill.html

intercst

-----------------------

Time is a strange thing anyway. When you are having fun and doing something you like time seems to just fly by but if you are bored time seems to stand still.

I remember reading a description about time in one of Dr. Brian Greene's books, either The Elegant Universe or Fabric of the Cosmos. He was talking about perception of time, like if two people were playing catch on a train their perception of how far the ball traveled would be different from somebody who was standing on the ground watching them play ball. To the person standing on the ground as the two people on the train tossed the ball back and forth his perception of how far the ball traveled would be quite different than their perception.

So my thought on the matter is that I'd rather live my life and experience time doing something I want to do than being at a job that I loathe doing something that either boors me or I intensely dislike. A friend of mine was a USDA Veterinarian in Atlanta, Georgia. He was like the head inspector for all the chicken plants around Northeast Georgia. When I was in high school he told me that any job becomes boring and repetitious if you do it long enough.

So isn't it really irrelevant how long you are going to live if you work or not if the time you are experiencing isn't your own? It's like being locked up in a jail cell versus being humanely euthanized. I'm not so sure that I would prefer to just go on living in a jail cell rather than just going on ahead and seeing if there is something on the other side?

I can remember staring out the big windows in front of our lab during the winter wishing I could go home and sleep or do just about anything else. Especially in the late afternoon when it was dark and cold outside. I felt trapped sometimes.

Artie

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42036 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/14/2012 12:47 PM
"*His wife was a well known forensic anthropologist who determined circumstances of death with fragments of bones and such. She even worked on the Amelia Earhart case for a while. She died recently; she was not that old, maybe 65." - lindytoes
------------------------------------------------

Soulmates. Her husband came and got her and took her to the other side. Marlene followed Denny 18 months after he died. Dana Reeves just lived a few months after Christopher Reeves died. Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash died very close together.

Like mom used to say, "truth is stranger than fiction." The older I get the more it makes I understand it.

Artie

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42064 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/15/2012 10:06 PM
"if you are bored time seems to stand still. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is one reason God invented naps.

Howie52

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42076 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/16/2012 11:56 AM
He retired and died 3 months later. Inactivity did him in.

If inactivity did me in, I would have died years ago. My desk job does not lead to much activity.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42271 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/24/2012 12:22 PM
It happened to my father in law, an active, fit, and apparently perfectly healthy guy who retired at 65 and had plans to do a whole lot of fishing. A year later he died of prostate cancer. It was as if the disease was lurking and waiting for him to quit work.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42272 of 59799
Subject: Re: Retire Early - And Die? Date: 4/24/2012 12:28 PM
"It happened to my father in law, an active, fit, and apparently perfectly healthy guy who retired at 65 and had plans to do a whole lot of fishing. A year later he died of prostate cancer. It was as if the disease was lurking and waiting for him to quit work."

HE would have been a lot better off retiring at 60, then having six years to fish a whole lot.

or maybe he should have visited the doc a few times more from 60 on? Had an annual PSA test?

YOu seldom develop and die of prostate cancer in just a half year.

It's more like he thought he was so healthy he didn't need annual physical exams and didn't have them.

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement