UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1481  
Subject: Retire overseas on $1,200 a month Date: 7/21/2011 2:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When I read "Cashing in on the American Dream" back in the early 90's I learned that one could retire comfortably on a budget of $50 per day. Well flash forward to 2011 and it looks like it is still possible:

http://money.msn.com/retirement-plan/retire-overseas-on-12k-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1400 of 1481
Subject: Re: Retire overseas on $1,200 a month Date: 7/23/2011 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I am reminded of a friend who always claimed he planned to return to Sri Lanka when he retired and live like a king. Of course the problem with Tamil Tigers have just been resolved. And you probably have to worry about being kidnapped.

I'm just amazed by armed guards in front of office buildings in Mexico, hotels with guards in the lobby and parking lots with steel gates in Columbia, and stories of people living in walled complexes in Brazil with paid full time security guards.

Yes, you can afford to hire servants and live very nicely inexpensively. But you make an easy target for the bad guys.

Don't forget to fund your security requirements.

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1411 of 1481
Subject: Re: Retire overseas on $1,200 a month Date: 11/28/2011 6:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
Be careful, we retired to Panama, and it's not cheap. These articles are sometimes written by those who do not keep up on the latest news.

chicken is as high in Panama as it is in CA and PA, we know because we live in all three areas.

Is Panama Still a Retirement Haven?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/7839908/is_panama_s...

fun2bretired

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement