Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My mother in law who is 63 retired about a year ago and moved to NM for a year to live with her son. Now she has decided to move back to Houston and wants to purchase a house because she is afraid if she rents that she will eventually will run out of money. She sold her prior home (which was paid for) before she moved. She has about $95K in a mutual fund with her old employer where I told her to leave it for now. SS is around $1100 per month. She also has the cash from the sale of around $20K. My gut feeling is that she should rent and live off the SS plus taking a little out of the fund each month. This could give her a comfortable living and keep the money available to gain some income. I just don't like seeing her putting all her money in a house and then have no cash left.
Thanks for the advice in advance.
Patrick
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement