No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm new to these Boards, but I've done some reading on this topic including IRS Publication 54, and I haven’t been able to find a solution to our situation. I sure would appreciate any and all input. Here goes.

We’d like to start a Roth IRA, make the maximum contribution of $10,000 with spousal benefit, and fund it with other than earned income. It is our eligibility that poses some questions.

First, some details:
Husband A64, wife A65, both taking Social Security benefits starting at A62. We are US citizens living abroad the entire year 2007, but we could come up with 30 days out of France if that served any purpose, such as meeting exclusion criteria. Husband is retired for US purposes, but working part-time as a self-employed person (1st year), with a registered business in France, paying all required taxes on his earnings in France. This work has generated 20,000 EUR (say, $28,000 USD) and this sum is our only earned income. We do have other income in the form of Social Security benefits of $27,000, and perhaps $15,000 in interest and dividends for 2007.

With regard to the Roth IRA, our questions pertaining to our US tax return are:
1. Are we better off taking the foreign Earned Income Exclusion, or a foreign tax credit?
2. Are we correct in assuming that if we take the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, then we cannot open a Roth IRA? Or, can we do one or the other in some portion ie, claim earned income of $17,000 and put $10,000 contribution in a Roth IRA?
3. If we took a credit of a certain amount, do we have to pay US self-employed taxes & Medicare on the balance?
4. How do we report the foreign earned income so as not to jeopardize our Social Security benefit?
5. Can we open a Roth IRA??
6. Finally, can we convert existing IRAs to Roth IRAs?

See, we need help...thanks for any and all insight or direction.

BB
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement