Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19026  
Subject: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 6:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
We've been retired for 10 years. We enjoy some church work, puttering with the house and yard, seeing the grandchildren and whatever hobbies we like, and generally just plain hanging out.

We love being truly retired. We're not rich, but we get by.

What do YOU do in retirement?

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18715 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 7:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

I'm trying for that state in which they hold a mirror under your nose to see if you're still breathing, but life keeps getting in the way. On the bright side I'm happy to report that as I near the conclusion of my 17th year of gainful unemployment my post-retirement "to do" list remains pretty much intact.

I have two volunteer activities, one of which takes a lot of time in a short calendar period, and one which takes little time, but spread evenly across 9 months. Thus I'm a little bit stuck with a summer vacation schedule for travel.

I do get a small payment from the Fool, but with the exception of my "official" duties (see my profile), I'd be doing it for free.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18716 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 8:08 PM
vermonter:"What do YOU do in retirement?"

Well, I retired about 13 years ago..come December.....

The first three years I was on the road 1/3rd the time....trips to Europe...to see some museums and things I wanted to see in England....trips to Thailand...one for the north part of the country, another trip for the south part of the country. Then trips to HI and AK and Costa Rica (twice) and a major DX pedition effort to a remote Pacific Island. Also hit half a dozen Caribbean Islands with my friend Sue for 7-10 day trips.

My main hobbies are ham radio and accordion playing.

I went off to accordion camp twice (Button Box) up in the Sierras in CA for a week each time. there's the annual National Accordion convention held here in Dallas every year and we have monthly meetings (twice a month). I got involved with the World Button Accordion Association and was President for 3 years and on the board for five years. done with that for now.

The other main hobby is ham radio - and we have lots of county hunting activity many days a week. I've been in every county in the US with my ham radio and still keep going places. we have a national convention every year. Last year was in Deadwood, SD. Year before was in WA state. Next year in CA. I make it a 2-3 week trip. There are 'hamfests' all the time in various locations.

Went to Vietnam and used a 'rent a station' there to make lots of contacts. Same for Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. And one in Costa Rica.

This winter I might get back to HI to run the counties there again, and next summer it is off to Alaska again.

I eat out 3-5 times a week....Mon night is China Buffet. Wed night is turkey night at Chubby's Family restaurant. Thursday night is Lasagna night at Joe's Pasta and Pizza.... Sunday breakfast at Denny's while reading the big Dallas paper end to end.

In my spare time I write a monthly county hunting newsletter.

And I spend maybe 3 hours a day on the internet....some days less...some days more..depending what's going on ....

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week....it's only a 8 minute drive door to door....less if the light is green....

t

Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18717 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 10:01 PM

DH retired 6 years ago. I worked from home or on the road 20-25 hours a week for his first two years of his retirement. Then I cut back to 5 hours a week for another two years and I've been retired for two years now.

We sleep in. We try and pick up our grandchild from school once a week & go to his swimming practices when we are home. We go on our grandchild's field trips & school events when possible. We try and do our 3 mile walk several times a week and it's so nice to be able to do that during the warmest part of the day in the winter months.

The best part of being retired is the travel! We take off in our RV in the fall for 4 - 10 weeks depending on what else is going on. We usually do a spring RV trip too, but it's usually not as long. We've taken two cruises so far and loved them both. One was to Alaska and this year we did a 20 Panama Canal cruise. We had driven to the 49 continental states so last year we flew to Hawaii. I do all the travel research and let me tell you that is TIME consuming! I spent two months just doing research on VBRO places to stay for the Hawaii trip.

Utahtea

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18718 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 10:50 PM
Recommendations: 2
I go to the gym 2-3 times a week....it's only a 8 minute drive door to door....less if the light is green....

You drive? :)

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18719 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 11:02 PM
RV, I "semi-retired" when in 2006, when I was 62, without collecting SS yet. I am still semi-retired, working from 5 to 10 hours per week as a real estate paralegal. Travel? No. 1.... Fortunately, I can tell my clients when I will be out of town and they arrange their closing accordingly.

Donna (has the best of both worlds)

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18720 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/10/2013 2:50 AM
Recommendations: 4
rharmelink asks,

tele: I go to the gym 2-3 times a week....it's only a 8 minute drive door to door....less if the light is green....

You drive? :)

About 3 years ago I decided to leave my car in the garage and walk as much as possible. (I only drive to the golf course and places more than 4 miles from home.) I've been averaging about 50 miles per week walking.

intercst

Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18721 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/10/2013 6:49 AM
Recommendations: 0

I've been retired 10 years now and while I'm not killing myself I do keep semi busy with the following activities:

- Lots of golf (3 rounds per week)
- Marshal at golf course (1 afternoon per week)
- Volunteer at local hospital (1 afternoon per week)
- Go to gym (twice a week)
- Go to Mass (Saturday night)
- We're getting ready to go on our 4th cruise in February
- Texans season ticket holders (lots of tailgating and Miller Lites)
- We took up bicycles last February and get in about 15 miles every Saturday and Sunday morning. She doesn't like riding into the wind and neither do I. We also don't care much for rain.
- Of course I'm still into amateur radio and working DX. Now that it's getting cooler there are a lot of contests and I like to enter as a single op.
- I am also game for trips to Orlando to visit the grandkids any time.

Regards,

ImAGolfer (retired '03)

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18722 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/10/2013 9:43 AM
"You drive? :) "

Yeah...it's all six lane highway...at 40 mph and lots of traffic....and it's about 2.5 miles to get there.....

There's no bike rack there either.....

You don't drive on the streets around here during the week if you want to stay alive....

weekends are better....early in the morning there are bike clubs with 30-50 riders......

One of my friends from work did very very well in the dot com boom. He was an avid distance bike rider. He retired early at age 41 with an intercst type nest egg.

He was out riding on a Friday morning on one of his 20 mile rides on a nice rural 2 lane road. Along comes a school bus with one of these extended mirrors on the right hand side. A car was coming the other way. The mirror hit him square in the head. He was dead before he hit the ground. So it makes you think twice about riding a bike. We have bike paths here if you want to bike ride. But they don't go to the rec center unless you want to do a 12 mile round about....

I go for the exercise circuit.....at the gym....and that's it. I don't need more than that 20-25 min work out. That poops me out. So? I hop in the Prius and drive home.

t.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18723 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/10/2013 12:19 PM
t:

I, too, am an active ham, and worked at ARRL Hq. for several years, many years ago.

We need to swap call signs sometime! I've enjoyed c.w. for over 50 years and was recently in the c.w. SS. Were you?

Vermonter

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18724 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/10/2013 2:15 PM
"We need to swap call signs sometime! I've enjoyed c.w. for over 50 years and was recently in the c.w. SS. Were you?

Vermonter "

You betcha....worked a couple hundred stations.....

I was...chasing counties...looking for NJ stations, some in NY and Addison, VT.......needed 8 in NJ....and 5 in NY state - got a few in NJ and one new one in NY.....

Also was in the TX QSO Party....and the IL, IN, KY, IA, AZ, NY QSO Parties....

Lots of cw activity for the county hunters - always counties being run during the week....

county hunter spotting site

ch.w6rk.com

t

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18725 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/11/2013 7:47 AM
Well, I'm just over my first year of retirement, so still working in.

1. Like Phil I have the small TMF work. I also do some consulting (always free so far) with small non-profits, and write or teach mostly free programs on retirement planning. Interstingly, my successor at work decided to change all of my long-term senior staff so I've been somewhat busy getting all of them jobs.

2. I retired on Oct 31 while in Atlanta, during Hurricane Sandy at home in NJ. I've always volunteered for Red Cross (34+ years) but Sandy sucked up a huge amount of time. Worked days in warehouses that sent supplies to those in need and then five weeks, 4-6 days a week, doing casework for those without clothes, homes, etc. After that turned into long-term care (in February) the drive was too long so I participate in my local chapter. I now average about 50 hours a week as an "on call" DAT team leader (disaster assistance team) usually at night or one weekend day a month for local house/apartment fires. That works out to about 5 "real" hours per week getting awakened at night for an actual fire. VERY rewarding. The latest was Monday night with a REALLY nice young couple with two sons 6 and 2.

I'm also putting in about 15 hours a week conducting on-site ARC National Shelter Surveys for a database of locations, services, retrictions for the next large or small disaster. I'm also training for what they call Community Programs. That's taken me to the NJ State Police State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC), FEMA courses, as well as beginning the process for agreements between ARC and faith-based centers and local corporations for help during emergencies.

3. DW and DD bought me a personal trainer to help me get back in shape (I commuted 300 miles one way before I retired). I just went to 40 pounds lost and a MUCH better fitness level. I also started cooking (who knew?) and that REALLY helps.

4. I'm a "kept" man, since DW has hit a whole new enjoyment level at her work, and we somewhat struggled when I was suddenly home during the week. So I sorta help with vacations now (formerly her job and it really still is). We were in Australia earlier this year (vacation and a DW conference) and will go to Galapagos and Machu Pichu next year. We know about Korea in 2015 (another conference) with either Vietnam, China, or Japan tacked on. We also travel another two or three times per year in the US, especially toward warmth and away from New Jersey winters.

5. DW gives birth to our first grandchild (a daughter) either today or tomorrow and I've got at least Wednesday blocked for her. Her husband has a 200 mile commute (one way) so she'll need some help until they decide what to do (maybe move).

In general I just "changed directions" and very much love the freedom of not needing a paycheck to do what I want. So far, so good.

Enjoy your comments, have learned a lot from intercst, Phil and many of you, so decided to kibbitz.

Bob
RYR Home Fool

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18726 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/11/2013 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 3
I'm a dot com retiree. Jan 1, 2000. After 13 years, my routine has settled in.

Read two newspapers every morning and abt 2 hrs on the internet (Motley Fool and email mostly). Then what to do with the rest of the day? I'm active in Kiwanis and belong to several local organizations. Enjoy cooking, gardening, reading. Like to travel. I published a family tree book (250 pages) last year and continue to work on getting the family Findagrave graves up to date with photos and links. Active investor. Own abt 40 stocks and research new ones and old ones routinely.

I like reading history and have posted over 100 book reviews on Amazon. (My to-be-read pile is large. But that is mostly winter activity. Now is nice fall season, getting ready for winter.) Used books are inexpensive on Amazon. History books are a great read.

I have a large collection of chemistry and history books. I have 250 books listed for sale on Amazon and Half.com. Just sold two on Ebay. Working down the collection (and finding good homes for the classics) now that they are no longer needed for career.

One wonders how you ever had time to work. There is lots to do.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18727 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/11/2013 4:43 PM
Recommendations: 6
Tip - do with it as you will: GTAT. Have owned this for over a year and buy more as it dips now and then. Also have several others in my IRA, some pay good divvies some are growth types.

We enjoy goofing off a lot. Yes, some church stuff, seeing grand kids, puttering in yard, ham radio, playing word games, and doing more goofing off!

Oh, and eating out when we feel like it, but she's also a great cook. She makes great meals and I wash the dishes. Yea team!

Going to bed when we wish and getting up when we wish, and watching what we like on our DVR without ads (pre-recorded and skimming through the stupid ads).

Mainly doing what we want, when we want, if we want. THAT is retirement!

Vermonter

Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18728 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/11/2013 5:48 PM
Recommendations: 8
We're 68 & 69 and have been retired since 1995. Bought a house on the water in Florida and for a few years never looked back. Bought a new sailboat and cruised the waters of Florida.

Then, built a large house on a golf course, sold it, bought a motor home and fulltimed for a few years. Built a small winter home in Florida, got bored and moved closer to son & his family. Got bored again and built a new small house in an over 55 community here in NW Arkansas.

DH now has some serious health issues, and I've got a few of my own. We've loved every minute of retirement, goofing off, wandering around this beautiful country of ours, having no responsibility to anyone but ourselves.

We now take the month of January and go someplace warm, we did Alaska last year, next September is a cruise tour of the Maritimes and NE USA.

Neither of us would trade these past 18 years, they truly have been a gift.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18729 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/15/2013 12:43 PM
Recommendations: 6
Oh My Gosh! I am pretty busy. I have four dogs, one is a new show puppy. That keeps me busy enough, but I still have a small amount of grooming clients left...a bit of extra $$ in my pocket. I am also web developer for three dog clubs, a paying client, and my own dog/photography website. My favorite "hobby" is photography and I have quite a bit invested in equipment. I am official photographer for two dog clubs and do occasional photo shoots, plus my own constant shooting.

I like to garden and should be outside trimming for winter right now. I try to walk every day with a friend, or by myself and the dogs.

I rarely travel, I am a homebody. But I will have to do some traveling to dog shows now. Just went to Chicago to show my puppy which my GD handled to Reserve Winners Dog! Nice for first time out puppy.

I am 78 (in December) years young and hope I can keep up with myself in the coming years.

Birgit

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18730 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/15/2013 3:02 PM
Recommendations: 5
If I'm not decided if I'm retired or not, does that count?

Laid off after 25 years as a software engineer 5 weeks ago, so adjusting to life without employment. Husband still working. Walk 4 miles most mornings on a greenway trail listening to birds and enjoying the cool bite of fall air. Groceries and dinner planning. Doing homework for a class I'm taking. Enjoying unemployment far, far too much for my own good...getting oil changes for cars, laundry, cleaning house. Sleeping like a rock.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18731 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/15/2013 3:03 PM
Oh, and adopted a 6 month old male, neutered rescue cat who has far too much energy...orange tabby. Named him Riley.

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18732 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/16/2013 4:19 AM
SG ~

I guess your cat lives the "Life of Riley"! He is most fortunate!

Robyn

Author: nagdabbit One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18737 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 7:24 AM
Just reading about your days is so much incentive...no, not retired yet but working very hard to do so in the future.

Early on, in my 20's and 30's I thought I could never retire, thinking I would be bored. But I recently had time off (furlough) and was amazed at how enjoyable it was. Just did simple things - chores, walking, actually chatting with neighbors who were out and about etc.
There's plenty to do that is for certain!

One of our big stumbling blocks will be deciding when we have *enough* savings etc... We are huge savers and I do worry that we won't ever come to the mindset that we have *enough*.

Again, thanks for the incentive...
dreaming of simple days,
nag

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18738 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 3:09 PM
One of our big stumbling blocks will be deciding when we have *enough* savings etc...

If you have a job you truly enjoy, retirement can be difficult.

For me, the decision to retire came when my investments doubled what I thought was my minimum. That plus the job not really that great. Boring. I was driving a distance to get to work. I decided I could be bored at home with lots less hassles. No regrets.

Quitting cold turkey can be difficult. Many transition into part time jobs, temp jobs, consulting, and whatever. Most have a long list of things they always wanted to do, and those can take a while. But there is also this psych problem that your job is a social experience and an indicator of your worth to society. Sitting on the porch can make you feel worthless. That is one form of depression.

To deal with the transition, keep active. Volunteer. Read a good book. Participate in discussion groups. Settle into your new routine and learn to enjoy it.

Life has its pleasures. Retirement is one of those. But some do have trouble adapting. Think about the psych aspect in your case and plan to deal with it.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18739 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 3:10 PM
nagdabbit writes,

Early on, in my 20's and 30's I thought I could never retire, thinking I would be bored. But I recently had time off (furlough) and was amazed at how enjoyable it was.

</snip>

Back in 1985, the price of oil dropped from $40/bbl to about $8 and it seemed like half the people in Houston got laid off. I was unemployed for about 6 months and enjoyed every minute of it. I didn't return to work until my unemployment benefits expired.

I retired for good in 1994 at age 38. Having that 6 month period of unemployment at age 29 certainly opened my eyes to the possibilities. My only regret is that I didn't retire earlier.

intercst

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18740 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 4:03 PM
my job has never been my life, just a revenue stream...my life starts when i walk out the door...but i just punch a time clock and wouldn't want anything else

Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18742 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 5:43 PM
Well, I certainly understand I'm the outlier. The best ten years of my working career were my last ten until I retired at 66. My secrets were to save by living below our means, never accept for long a job I didn't like or could contribute too, marry well, and be positive.

By age 64 the extensive travel was beginning to take a toll, so I gave my notice. By 65 we had enough to retire and after one more year they had a successor and I had every scenario of a monte carlo analysis be successful with conservative assumptions. It really helps that my talented wife got the kids largely out of the house after the college years and hit a whole new career stride. She's not sure she'll ever want to retire, even though her work may be more demanding than mine. My being home means that I can help her in many of the same ways she helped me in my career.

Following Paul's advice (and he used to be a neighbor) I have relaxed a bit, got MUCH healthier physically, and my volunteer work (some of which I did while working) is tremendously satisfying. I got new golf woods (metals) as a retirement gift (better than a watch) but have only been able to get 12 holes in. Neither DW nor I enjoy activities generally regarded as relaxing -- even our vacations.

But this last year was more satisfying than even my previous ten. Not relying on a salary is great!

Bob
RYR Home Fool

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18747 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 7:49 PM
Recommendations: 5
My husband quit his 12 hour a day job in financial services last February. We sold our apartment in Brooklyn and moved to a small coastal town in New England. Our mortgage is much much lower than what we paid for our cooperative apartment and the big bonus is that my daughter and two small grandchildren live right down the block.
Life is good. We couldn't be happier and we are finally living within our means considering the layoffs that my husband went through starting at the age of 51. He is now 66 and he doesn't look back.
People would wonder if we would miss living just one subway stop from Manhattan. Would we miss the excitement of it all.
Heck no. My husband worked hard all his life and he is finally able to relax. Of course, now I have a partner in the supermarket but I don't mind at all. After spending most of my married life living with a workaholic, it's nice to have him home now. We've been married 42 years.

Author: nagdabbit One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18748 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 8:23 PM
Ha

I finally have a partner at the supermarket..talked him into it and he does the deli (wait,wait, wait) while I do the other shoppiing.

They feed him things and ask where is he if I show up alone.

I gave him this job recently as we both work, but He seems to be making it a Social Event.

Actually, it's nice. More things to do when you are 'retired'.

Paul,thanks for the insight. I may be in the same situation as you were.

Thanks for the other replies...but I have to get up for work...
Remember those days?

back to work
back to work
back to work

Which one of you are going to tell me *enough*?
You'll get tons of rec's

nag

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18749 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 9:04 PM
But I recently had time off (furlough) and was amazed at how enjoyable it was. Just did simple things - chores, walking, actually chatting with neighbors who were out and about etc.

In 1989, I had a back injury. I ended up on and off work for nearly a year, working part-time for a while. I loved working part-time, since I had more spare time for the things I liked to do.

About a year after I was back full time, I asked if working part-time was a possibility. After a bit, my boss said it was OK. I ended up working part-time from 1993 to 2006 (when they wanted me to come back to work full time). Over most of that 13-year period, I was only working 20 hours per week (the minimum I could go and still keep my benefits).

I often took 2-week vacations, using only a week of vacation time from work, because I could concentrate hours on the days just before and after the vacation.

I was lucky to have such a nice setup.

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18750 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/17/2013 9:04 PM
I decided I could be bored at home with lots less hassles.

I love that reasoning! :)

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18754 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 8:03 AM
Ha

I finally have a partner at the supermarket..talked him into it and he does the deli (wait,wait, wait) while I do the other shoppiing.

My husband won't stand in line at the deli counter. I give him something to search for in the supermarket hoping against hope that he will be gone for a few minutes so that I cannot feel him breathing down my neck but low and behold he comes back in record time with the item looking like he just struck gold!
This is a whole other life that I need to get used to!!!

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18755 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 8:07 AM
I decided I could be bored at home with lots less hassles.

Same here. My daughter suggested that we might want to work part time to keep busy. Hah. We are finding lots of things to do to keep ourselves busy and not one of them requires that we work for bullies or lazy incompetent people.
We are SO grateful that we no longer have to do that.
You know what they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
We did just that and have never looked back.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18758 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 9:51 AM
Brooklyn1948:

Bravo! You cut the cord!

We've been retired since our early 60's. We both had careers and left them behind. We love our new lives. We've been married even longer than you, and it's a blessing to have all this time together. We don't have a lot of money, but who cares? We eat okay, enjoy lunch out most days, and now lead what many might call "boring" lives.

May you both enjoy many happy years together!

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18759 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 9:56 AM
Brooklyn1948:

We made a deal: We also do groceries together. We have no dishwasher up here, so she cooks (and has always been a FABULOUS cook), we both enjoy what she makes, and I wash the dishes. Good deal, and I have no complaints! I also help with vacuuming and the usual outdoor chores on our several acres. She makes the beds and such.

It's quiet here on our dirt road, little traffic, and sometimes, in the summer, we can leave the windows open and it's as quiet as it is inside. Just us and our lovable kitty.

What's not to like? ;)

Vermonter

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18760 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 9:58 AM
My daughter suggested that we might want to work part time to keep busy. Hah. We are finding lots of things to do to keep ourselves busy and not one of them requires that we work for bullies or lazy incompetent people. We are SO grateful that we no longer have to do that.

You know what they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. We did just that and have never looked back.

Wish we knew you guys. We might be friends.

Vermonter

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18762 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 3:01 PM
Wish we knew you guys. We might be friends.

What a nice thing to say! My sister worked on Wall Street and had to relocate to New Hampshire in order to keep her job. When I first met a few of her friends they were so nice that I asked her what was in the water. The same seems to hold true here in this little coastal New England town. We live as part of an association and we are surrounded by nearly 20 other townhouses. Everyone is so nice and they were so welcoming from the very first day that we moved in. They moved their cars so that our movers could have easy access to the stairway up to our house. I was amazed as we are city people from New York and people don't even make eye contact in the elevators!
We get along very well with everyone here but I have to keep my New York attitude to myself and that's no easy task. They are just plain folks here and so are we. It's been nice to start over and be anonymous.
As far as the people we knew in our old building in Brooklyn, they have not kept up with us at all. I tried e-mailing and got one or two responses but people in big cities move on quickly.
Out with old and in with the new!

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18764 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 4:38 PM
New Englanders are NOT "cold and unfriendly". Rather, most we know hereabouts tend to mind their own business but jump quickly when you ask for help or want them to visit.

We like that.

Enjoy!

Vermonter

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18765 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 6:05 PM
New Englanders are NOT "cold and unfriendly". Rather, most we know hereabouts tend to mind their own business but jump quickly when you ask for help or want them to visit.

We like that.

Enjoy!

Exactly! Mostly everyone I've met here is nice and very helpful and they can count on us New Yorkers if they ever need anything!

Author: nagdabbit One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18767 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/18/2013 8:00 PM
Yes, I agree that a bored day at home sure beats one at work, well said!
Just have to figure out how to get there!

Sure looks like a lot of us New Englanders are posters.
Guess winter is settling in.

And yes, we are nice, NE folks.
We are always there rushing to help...once you make a friend here, even distantly, I think it's pretty much a done deal.
For us, we like quiet and allow privacy. But need help - heck, yeah!
We like to think folks would be quick to help us as well.

nag

~Figuring out that we could save costs by going to the deli for samples since hubbie has folks handing it out to him. Must put that in Quicken. Lunch out...free~

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18791 of 19026
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/21/2013 2:07 AM
We're both 64. Now that my husband is also retired, we enjoy RVing at least half the year. We've been in New Mexico in our 26' motorhome since September and won't get home till just before Christmas, then we'll see the kids and grandkids. Plan to be back on the road by May.

Mostly I read, write, cook, do housework, plan everything from meals to travel, enjoy movies and some TV (mostly PBS), listen to music, take nature walks, do a little pastels, photography, fiddling, and games like online jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, cryptoquotes, crosswords, bird watching, plant identification, and stargazing (will look for comet Ison near dawn tomorrow if I'm up in time). Since my grandchildren live in NYC, we go there several times a year. I love the city, small towns, and wilderness. But suburbs I can do without ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement