UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63329  
Subject: Retirees heading North Date: 2/26/2007 7:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
According to this article, over the past 5 years more retirees have left Florida to go back North than the other way around.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/us/26seniors.html?em&ex=1172638800&en=7e4a087a26f435be&ei=5087%0A
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2854 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/26/2007 8:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My FIL is one of them. He rents a place for a few months in the winter, but heads back to Mass the rest of the year.

Uhura

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2855 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/26/2007 8:05 PM
Recommendations: 8
According to this article, over the past 5 years more retirees have left Florida to go back North than the other way around.

It seems to me sometimes that half my DC friends are retiring to South Florida, but having spent one March-June period there, I wouldn't do it on a bet. Seems like nothing but old people and rednecks in pickups with gun racks and bumper stickers saying "If you ain't country, you ain't s**t."

I'll take snow now and again, thank you very much.

Phil

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2857 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/26/2007 8:30 PM
They forgot to mention 2 bad years of getting clobbered by huriicanes, being without power for days, waiting months to get repairs (years) to houses....as well as skyrocketing insurance premiums......

Plus the horrendous traffic congestion in much of FL......

A lot of people have had it with FL hurricanes...some areas got clobbered 2 or 3 times over the past 2 years with major damage.

Throw in tornadoes recently across the state.....and no wonder many don't think FL is ideal, especially in hurricane season....evacuations....power outages...gas shortages...

My parents spent 3-4 months a year there in the winter...they escapted 'north' for the rest of the year..

t.

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2863 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 9:31 AM

C-ya!

buzman

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2872 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 10:50 AM

C-ya!

buzman

If this continues, you should be able to buy a decent property in Florida.

AM

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2874 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 10:53 AM
Recommendations: 3
If this continues, you should be able to buy a decent property in Florida.

AM

If you hurry you can get some prime beach front just before it is inundated by rising sea levels brought on by that non-existent global warming.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2876 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 10:56 AM

If you hurry you can get some prime beach front just before it is inundated by rising sea levels brought on by that non-existent global warming.

I was thinking more ... upstate and inland. :o)

AM, Florida Cracker Girl.....

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2881 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 11:07 AM
Get two miles from the coast and I would rather live in GA.

I like smelling salt air!

It beats the heck out of snow.

To each his own...

Where I live is 30+ feet above sea level.

buzman

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2882 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 11:25 AM
Get two miles from the coast and I would rather live in GA.

I like smelling salt air!

It beats the heck out of snow.

To each his own...

Where I live is 30+ feet above sea level.

buzman

My mother was from Georgia.
Tattnal county. (Did I spell that correctly?)

AM

Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2891 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 12:47 PM
Recommendations: 4
I like smelling salt air! It beats the heck out of snow.

Not mutually exclusive, LOL. I'm in Alaska, live 1/4 mile from the shore, and it's currently 14 degrees.

Brisk. Bracing. Ok, maybe it's insane. It keeps the tourists from trampling us year-round, though.

RDW

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2907 of 63329
Subject: Re: Retirees heading North Date: 2/27/2007 2:01 PM
Not mutually exclusive, LOL. I'm in Alaska, live 1/4 mile from the shore, and it's currently 14 degrees.

I live across the street from a beach. Nothing beats beachwalking in the winter, especially when it's a balmy 36 degrees. I don't do ice, though.

Brisk. Bracing. Ok, maybe it's insane. It keeps the tourists from trampling us year-round, though.

Beaches in winter are dog playgrounds. My dog loves it when he and his buddies can chase each other without crashing into anyone.

Uhura

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement