UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Trader101 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75867  
Subject: Retirement Date: 5/27/1998 10:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am just beginning to save for my retirement. I am 32 and have been alotting money every month to my 401k for the last year.

The 401k choices I selected are:
American Century 20th Century Ultra
Algiers American Growth
PBHG
T. Rowe Price Equity Fund

I will continue to alot the funds to the 401k however, I am joining an online broker (Datek is most likely the choice) and will begin purchasing stocks as the meat and potatoes of my personal portfolio.

I believe in long term results and have been considering Microsoft, Intel, Motorola, Coca Cola as my initial purchases.

I'm not rich by any means and will probably begin with only $2300.

My question:

Do you find that most of your successful purchases include a 'gut instinct' or 'gut feeling' that it is a good purchase?

I've read Lynch's book, Ceto's book, and some other ideas, but ultimately I am responsible for my future.

Are there any thoughts as to other purchases I might consider? If so, why?

Thanks

Tom
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Tiggertoo One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3497 of 75867
Subject: Re: Retirement Date: 5/28/1998 11:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
>>>Do you find that most of your successful purchases include a 'gut instinct' or 'gut feeling' that it is a good purchase?

I've read Lynch's book, Ceto's book, and some other ideas, but ultimately I am responsible for my future.

Are there any thoughts as to other purchases I might consider? If so, why?

Thanks<<<

I read a little lack of confidence in your comments; why not put your money into some index fund like a S&P 500 fund and then study a little more until you get more confidence. You could pick some stocks and follow them to see how you would have done and compare to the S&P 500 fund you choose.

TTFN...TiggerToo

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3500 of 75867
Subject: Re: Retirement Date: 5/28/1998 12:27 PM
Gut instinct: I don't trust feelings about whether something is a good purchase -- too often a company has a romantic appeal that has little to do with the soundness of the investment.

But if I somehow feel that a stock is a bad investment, I don't invest in it, regardless of the numbers or anything else. I used to ignore that kind of reluctance, but it has often turned out to have a basis in market trends or other conditions of which I was only vaguely aware.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement