UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: natybanker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: retirement Date: 2/19/2000 12:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
this is my first posting, but I was just wandering how do I go about saving enough money for my golden years. Right now I am only 22 and was wondering if you might have a plan or some kind of list. I could get some ideas from. I feel that this is a great time for me to start. I am wanting to get into the stock market, but don't really know where to start. can you help me
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BookmFool Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19259 of 75335
Subject: Re: retirement Date: 2/19/2000 8:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
how do I go about saving enough money for my golden years. Right now I am only 22 and was wondering if you might have a plan or some kind of list. I could get some ideas from. I feel that this is a great time for me to start. I am wanting to get into the stock market, but don't really know where to start.

natybanker, if you want to take control of your financial future, yer at the right place. This is truly a great time to begin. But ,in order to do this, you must learn, both about investing and about yourself. You need to find out what type of investor you are, and what investments will fit your situation in life, risk tolerance, financial resources (and on and on).

The Fool's got plenty of learning material here, and I'm gonna post a few links for you to follow that will help provide answers to your questions.

First, the 13 steps is where you should start:

http://www.fool.com/school/13steps/13steps.htm?ref=G02C06

Here's one on investing basics:

http://www.fool.com/school/basics/investingbasics.htm?ref=G02C06

These should get you started in the right direction.

HTH

Rick

Author: waldronr Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19298 of 75335
Subject: Re: retirement Date: 2/19/2000 9:54 PM
I am wanting to get into the stock market, but don't really know where to start. can you help me

natybanker,

Welcome! You are already doing a couple of the right things.
- You are starting to think of retirement early enough to really put aside and invest a significant amount.
- You apparently want to do it for yourself.

If, at your age you invest 10% of your earnings for the rest of your working life, how much will that be?
Calculate it out. It will be a big pot of $$$.

Now, look around for investments that over the long haul will return at least 10% annually on your investment. Now recalculate from the previous step compounding 10% until you reach retirement age. You'll find that that is a REALLY BIG pot of $$$.

Where can you find such investments? Read the Fool's 13 Steps for starters. You'll find that Stocks have averaged 10%+ return over the market's lifespan.

Key thing - get started. The sooner the better.
Open a discount brokerage cash account and begin investing in stocks of good solid companies, then if you like, take a few risks for some higher returns, watch your nest-egg, but you have enough time to take some risks, (65-22=43 yrs).

Get Foolish, and good luck!

Ron W.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement