Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: georgez101 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: Retirement Advice For Momma Date: 9/17/2008 3:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My father passed away a little over a year ago and I'm trying to do a little financial research for my mom who seems to be "out to sea" with her finances right now. She keeps spending money on trips and other unnecessary things that are adding up. I feel like she needs a financial plan of action for the little bit of money she has saved up or she's just going to blow through all of it. I was hoping that someone on the boards here could be of help. Here is her current financial situation:

1. She is 67
2. She is currently still working at a beauty salon making about $500 per week.
3. She has 80,000 in an interest bearing savings account (making probably around 3%).
4. She has 40,000 in an E-trade account (currently not invested in anything...just sitting there as cash)
5. She has 32,000 in an IRA account
6. She is getting about $875 per month from Social Security.
7. Her current rent is about 1,000 per month.

I guess the question is, what are her options? I know this is not a lot of money to retire on. Should she just invest whatever money she has into some kind of safe investment option? Only problem with that is that the return on the investment probably won't be enough to sustain her for a very long time.

Another option is for her to chip in with my sister and buy a house with a mother-in-law set up. My sister has agreed to watch over her in retirement. This way my mom won't have any monthly rent to pay and can live off of her Social Security checks and whatever she has left in savings. My sister can also drive her places since my mom doesn't drive.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement