UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: buffalobob4 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75633  
Subject: Retirement-Asset Allocation Date: 1/5/2000 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you were 56 and retired what level of allocation would you give to equities? I like average to above average risk. I also need to draw out 8% monthly. My thought is 65% Vanguard total stock market index or split the 65% into two 4 or 5 star rated funds, 15% into Vanguard GNMA fund, 10% into an excellent international fund and 10% into a money market! I'd appreciate any feedback on this approach, good, bad or otherwise.........Most Sincerely Bob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 39dopey One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17395 of 75633
Subject: Re: Retirement-Asset Allocation Date: 1/5/2000 4:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If you were 56 and retired what level of allocation would you give to equities? I like average to above average risk. I also need to draw out 8% monthly. My thought is 65% Vanguard total stock market index or split the 65% into two 4 or 5 star rated funds, 15% into Vanguard GNMA fund, 10% into an excellent international fund and 10% into a money market! I'd appreciate any feedback on this approach, good, bad or otherwise.

If you can tolerate above average risk, I'd suggest 80% to 90% equities to maximize return. I'm planning on 100% since I'm willing to take large cuts in annual spending if necessary due to market fluctuations. It's up to you to set the exact percentage of course. As for drawing out 8% monthly, maybe you should consider a career as a loan shark ... unless you mean 8% annually, taken out in monthly installments of 0.67%?

As for your plan and asset allocation, they look good to me. I chose Index500 for accounts that cannot be invested in individual stocks, but your choice is as good as mine. I tend to believe I can identify really bad individual stock investments and avoid them, which means I'm better off in the remaining good individual stocks - and my record bears this out. If you don't have the time or the interest to choose your own stocks, it's hard to do better than any of the Vanguard equity index funds.

Author: buffalobob4 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17407 of 75633
Subject: Re: Retirement-Asset Allocation Date: 1/5/2000 9:37 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks so much for your frank feedback--sorry, I did mean 8% annually.......I kinda think I'm getting it. And morningstar helps me obtain a reality check....Thanks again Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement