Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ed1007 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: RETIREMENT CALCULATOR Date: 3/28/2007 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not sure if this is the best board or not please point me elsewhere if you think it would be better.

Does any one know of an online retriement calculator that you trust and that gives step by step instructions for what are reasonable guesses for things like inflation, investment returns, etc.

My problem is that whenever I use any of the tools I will either live like a king if I keep saving like I am or will die int he gutter penneyless the day after I retire.

I could set up a spreadsheet my self but am having some problems with setting realistic guesses for some items. If anyone has suggestions on these please chime in.

1. How much should I assume that I will need to live off of in retirement? 100% of todays, expenses some other value?

2. Is 4% yearly inflation reasonable? Should I use a higher value to account for increased health care?

3. So far i tend to use 8% invesment returns. Is this a good guess, it is what my accounts have averaged over the last 10 years.

4. I am only 38 retirement is a long way off. Things like inflation and investment returns have a big impact on the value of my protfolio at retirmeent. Any ideas how I calculate some type of confidence intervall arround the final number.

5. should I count on Social Security or not.

What I am really trying to do is make sure that I am saving enough. THe quick and easy answer is that I should be maxing out my 401k. But is that really enough?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement