No. of Recommendations: 0
My retirement funds are 40% taxable, and 60% tax-deferred (IRA etc). Does anyone have a formula, calculator, or even a rule-of-thumb to guide me in determining which I should take distribution from first for retirement living expenses. I'm 66, the IRA is of a size that would make minimum required distributions at age 70 probably taxable at 28% and some of social security benefits taxable too. My first instinct is to take the regular investments first and let the IRA grow tax-deferred; but it might be better to take from IRA now to keep required minimum distribution lower when that time comes. Any help?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.