UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: cummiw Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75530  
Subject: Retirement Funding Date: 2/29/2012 10:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Much of what is written as advice to retirees and those planning their retirements ignores the unavoidable Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) law that does a pretty good job of determining how much to withdraw from one's traditional IRAs each year. For example at age 70, it demands that you withdraw 3.6%, 5.3% at 80, and 8.7% at 90. If you can adjust your lifestyle to survive on these amounts, and adjust your investments to produce them, you'll never run out of money.

To give a simple example, the RMD on a $1,000,000 IRA at age 70 will be $36000; by law you must withdraw at least that amount. If you can live on it plus Social Security and whatever else you have, and if you can earn $36000 by investing the 1 million in your IRA, you'll be in good financial shape. In later years, you may have trouble earning enough to cover the RMD as it increases, but you'll be closer to the end of life and can afford to dig into principal.

I found it helpful, as I saved for retirement, to estimate how much money I would need each year with no paycheck. This made it easy, based on the RMD table, to determine how much I'd have to save before I could retire, and therefore how long I would have to work to reach that goal. This has worked out well; I had to work to age 75 to get my number but now at 80, I have lived on my RMD for 5 years and have not reduced my principal.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement