UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fox50en Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75888  
Subject: Retirement goal Date: 12/21/1999 4:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've currently retired and my wife will join me in a year or two. We have approxamently $500,000 in the stock market with about 60% in tech and computer stocks.Am I wise in staying with these volatile companys or should I be a little more conservative? We don't need the money to live on>

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16757 of 75888
Subject: Re: Retirement goal Date: 12/22/1999 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I would guess that your tech and computer stocks are a major portion of your portfolio because they have done very well for you.

Most would advise you to rebalance your portfolio from time to time to keep one sector from becoming too large. If you don't need the money and especially if these are LTBH stocks, that becomes less urgent. I would think a broader based component like an S&P Index Mutual Fund would be comforting, but decide for your self.

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16760 of 75888
Subject: Re: Retirement goal Date: 12/22/1999 10:25 AM
Greetings, Fox50en, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I've currently retired and my wife will join me in a year or two. We have approxamently $500,000 in the stock market with about 60% in tech and computer stocks.Am I wise in staying with these volatile companys or should I be a little more conservative? We don't need the money to live on>>

That's a personal preference regarding allocation and risk we all must decide for ourselves. Many would say you are too concentrated in a narrow segment of the economy. Yet all that really matters is if you are comfortable with your stock selections, believe in their long-term prospects, and are not in need of the principal invested in those shares in the next five years or so. If you can answer those kinds of questions for yourself and determine that your holdings are fine for you, then stay with them. If not, then change. The bottom line is it's your choice and your choice alone.

Regards..Pixy

Author: fw3817 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16805 of 75888
Subject: Re: Retirement goal Date: 12/23/1999 9:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
If you are willing to stay invested in stocks it would be to your advantage to visit the Mechanical Investing boards.

You will need some time to read old messages and to get up to speed but it will be worth it.

It will help you with what to buy, when to buy and most importantly when to sell.

Hale

Author: geejaybee Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16825 of 75888
Subject: Re: Retirement goal Date: 12/23/1999 9:25 PM
Please explain what the MECHANICAL iNVESTING BOARDS are. I've never heard of them.

Thanks,

geejaybee

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16840 of 75888
Subject: Re: Retirement goal Date: 12/24/1999 9:28 AM
Greetings, Geejaybee, and welcome. You asked:

<<Please explain what the MECHANICAL iNVESTING BOARDS are. I've never heard of them. >>

You will find the various mechanical investing strategies discussed primarily in the Foolish Workshop area at http://www.fool.com/workshop/workshop.htm.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement