UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pedorrero Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Retirement in Mexico? Date: 10/22/2006 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Heck, perhaps an on-topic post.

There many well be another board in TMF for this, does anyone know? I don't often search for new boards; right now you are "blessed" with my company, me having found Retire Well On Less.

Anyway...what follows is a brief article on the possibility of retiring into Latin America.

Although I'm an "Anglo," I have a strong attachment to Latin America, probably because I lived there as a young child (but not in Mexico). Studying Spanish for a few years in school helped, and also several trips over the recent years.

I've toyed with the idea of living there for a few years. Like any subject, there are plenty of books. A good one is 'Choose Mexico for Retirement' now in like its 9th edition.

Anyway, the best reasons to live there are probably because (1) the climate is a lot better, depending on your definition of better and (most important to Pedorerro, who is a greedy individual). (2) It's CHEAP!!!

How much cheaper depends on a lot of factors. Sounds as though it can be done at 1/2 or so of the US prices, overall. This is particularly appealing when your income is scraping $20K. !!!

Lately I've been concentrating on the Yucatan (Cancun) area of Mexico for my trips. This is the most heavily touristed part of Mexico (the penninsula, not just Cancun.) While a lavish oceanside condo is a bit over Mr. Pedorrero's budget, there are cheaper places to live. Unlike the USA, with its abominable public transit system, Mexico has good service, primarily by Bus. In the case of Cancun, the discening pinch-penny like me, whether tourist or resident, can ride the same $0.50 bus to and from a modest hotel or hostel downtown where the working-class Mexicans live.

Contact with other Americans. Some areas have more retirees than others. Cancun probably doesn't have a lot of residents, although there are ex-pat communities in local cities like Merida or Cozumel. I gravitate more to culture, I guess I'm getting older (45). Drunken half-naked college co-eds dancing on tables has a certain apeal, but I seem to lean more to the quieter forms of entertainment nowadays. Also, I don't have to compete with the drunken college frat boys in vieing for the charms of the sloshed senoritas. Cancun doesn't seem to have a lot of "culture;" it sprung up mainly to serve the tourism industry. Personally, I would probably try to relocate to one of the older cities, especially one with a University. This is similar to what's often recommended for USA retirees (find a college town). This allows the best of both worlds (high-brow culture, and the option of pursuing young females too.)

Maybe we could draft the Costa Rica guy (arrete?) into this board and we could have a more intelligent thread.

No doubt, if and when I ever make the move, I will document all the details for TMF readers somewhere.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement